Arsenal hiring Unai Emery...
by iudomer (2018-05-21 15:21:38)

He can win Europa, so there's that.

Graeme Bailey
@GraemeBailey
Arsenal pull plug on Mikel Arteta deal and go for Unai Emery goo.gl/zvcuYj It is believed negative fan reaction played a huge part in change of thinking from the Gunners hierarchy.

I’m excited... and it’s been awhile
by mitquinn  (2018-05-23 12:23:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His resume fills the gaps and questions that would have been at the forefront of an Arteta appointment.

New uni is trash, too. *
by Wooderson  (2018-05-23 12:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mixed emotions about this one
by santamonica  (2018-05-23 09:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sound like the Arteta news was more than a smokescreen. The board/management were actually putting together a coherent vision of the post-Wenger future as evidenced by hiring Mislintat and Sanllehi to help with development/scouting and transfers. I think Arteta would have been a solid hire to work within this new structure, and he would have been a good cultural fit with his understanding of the style of football Arsenal is used to, while applying some of the tactics learned under Pep's tutelage.

While I think Emery is a good hire as well, I'm concerned about the apparent 180 to move away from Arteta. IF this was due to fan reaction, then shame on the board and the supporters; you both screwed a former captain who has a great love the club and would have given his all. I hope he continues to grow under Pep and can succeed as a manager in the future.

Only time will tell if this was the right call.

I would love to see the reaction on Rock's House
by rjfetter  (2018-05-23 11:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if ND hired a 36 year old head coach only 2 years removed from playing who had never managed a game before.

People did a good job talking themselves into Arteta, but that would be as big a gamble as I could imagine. Whatever the reasons for the 180, I'm glad they came to their senses.

Incidentally, Emery's most successful years coaching at Sevilla were under a similar recruiting setup as what Arsenal have put in place. I think this is as good a hire as they could make from the realistic candidates.

Remember when everyone thought Roy Keane was a hop
by Irishlawyer  (2018-05-23 13:46:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

skip and a jump from succeeding SAF?

It would make sense to let a guy get his feet wet before putting him in the London pressure cooker succeeding a legend.

In ND FB terms
by Santamonica  (2018-05-23 12:07:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of Andy’s dreams would come true as Savvy Jack introduced PJ Fleck as the new Dick Corbett Head Football Coach.

I agree that Emery is a better hire, but the way things went down could have been better handled IF Arteta was choice #1 and fan pressure caused the switch.

We’re also not immune to poorly thought out hires (see every coach since Holtz).

Interesting.
by skip encarnacion  (2018-05-21 19:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually think this is a pretty good hire.

Edit: PSG is the worst best job in the world. Hey, go win the UCL. Winning the league is a formality, by the way. If you somehow mess that up you'll look ridiculous.

Emery's agent deserves a raise. Great move.