USA/Canada/Mexico joint bid wins right to 2026 World Cup
by miamioh_irishfan (2018-06-13 07:23:06)

Very exciting news to wake up to this morning.

It probably would have hurt their chances
by Groundhog  (2018-06-14 02:06:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I think the three-country bid was dumb. The U.S. has more than enough cities/stadiums/major airports to accommodate 48 teams.

No teams are going to want to get stuck playing in Edmonton or Guadalajara.

You have clearly never been to Guadalajara
by spade  (2018-06-14 13:42:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Estadio Omnilife is a premier stadium.

You are still correct, the US didn't NEED to join with Mexico and Canada

I saw Chivas play in the old Estadio Jalisco.
by skip encarnacion  (2018-06-14 19:05:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My God, was that a shithole.

Still is. Atlas and our pal Rafa Marquez still play there *
by spade  (2018-06-14 21:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From the comments I've read, a US only bid would have
by 3rdSt  (2018-06-14 14:18:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been a very close call against Morocco. Canada and Mexico were able to deflect a lot of anti-US sentiment amongst the smaller nations.

Do all three countries get automatic qualification? *
by Irishted  (2018-06-13 15:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From what I’ve seen, yes
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 15:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With 48 teams it’s a little less of a problem for the rest of Concacaf

If CONCACAF gets 3.5 spots now, they would get 4.5 - 5 after
by spade  (2018-06-14 13:41:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And so with 3 autos, then everyone else would be fighting for the last 1.5 or 2 spots. That's a tough sell considering 3 non soon-to-be-host teams qualified for those spots this rotation.

Central America and Caribbean would get hosed if they just give spots to hosts out of regular CONCACAF slots and don't free up at least 2.5 spots for rest of confederation.

It has not been officially decided yet
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-14 09:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the past, all hosts have automatically qualified -- including both Japan and South Korea in 2002. But as we know all too well, FIFA makes up its own rules as it goes along. It is expected that FIFA will decide this issue at its June 2019 meeting in Paris.

Do they have the format determined yet?
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-14 12:50:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The groups and knockout stage?

Sixteen groups of three
by 3rdSt  (2018-06-14 13:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top two teams from each group go into the knock-out stages. No room for errors in that format...

32 team knockout round? *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-15 14:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Confederations Cup in 2025 will be in the same venues
by Irishted  (2018-06-14 10:31:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume?

That's the point, right? To put on a mini-World Cup the year before as a practice run.

The future of the Confederations Cup has been called
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-06-14 11:40:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Into question I believe.

Don’t recall the specifics but I remember hearing something on SiriusXM about reworking the off year international competitions, including the confed cup.

Oh God, please no...
by mitquinn  (2018-06-13 14:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... not at Levi's Stadium... please we beg thee.

What a bummer for the Bay Area.
by skip encarnacion  (2018-06-13 15:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't stand Levi's and don't know many people who do in Northern CA.

I went to every game in 1994 at Stanford Stadium
by mitquinn  (2018-06-13 17:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the old structure was second in height only to the old eucalyptus trees just outside the stadium.

I think there were over 100 rows of classic wooden benches, holding 94,000 people.

I think Cal would be the best setting of any stadium here now.

They should just put any CA games in the Rose Bowl, or perhaps the new Kroenke trophy will be built by then?

Kroenke dome will in fact be done.
by Wooderson  (2018-06-14 12:14:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it's being built with soccer in mind, as well.

The old Stanford Stadium is the worst stadium I’ve ever
by tex29  (2018-06-13 19:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been in, in any sport.

Same here. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-06-14 18:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially the end zone seats *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 22:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was nothing special
by mitquinn  (2018-06-13 21:08:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just had the capacity required for a day like USA vs Brasil.

Spain sacking their coach a bigger shock...
by iudomer  (2018-06-13 08:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just took the Real job, but agreed to a contract extension three weeks earlier with El Rojo. Crazy.

Incredible.
by skip encarnacion  (2018-06-13 09:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad I waited to fill out my bracket.

My paella team! Nooooo *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 15:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m still bitter that Chicago and Minneapolis dropped out *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 08:03:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why did they? Any chance they could be added?
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 13:46:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't seem like FIFA could do much about it if Chicago was added in several years.

They refused to give FIFA tax-exempt status, apparently *
by wcnitz  (2018-06-13 15:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicago also dropped out of the
by HTownND  (2018-06-13 15:48:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2018 and 2022 bids that ultimately failed.

I doubt it
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 14:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably as an alternate if another city falls through somehow but I don’t see that happenjng

Looks like 7+ cities would have to fall through
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 16:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume the 7 that are cut from the current 17 would be ahead of Chicago at this point.

Disappointing since it looks like the entire
by goirish912  (2018-06-13 08:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

midwest and great plains will not have a host city.

Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Denver could host.
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 08:28:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

[Edit: I didn't realize the cities weren't set yet.]

None of which should be considered Midwest/great plains
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 08:51:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe KC

I can understand the unpopulated northern plains states being ignored...again but I’m shocked that Chicagoans are 5 hours from a match, Detroit as well to a lesser extent

Heck, USSF HQ is a par 5 from Soldier Field! *
by Irish2003  (2018-06-13 14:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Great Lakes region is what you are looking for.
by NDMike2001  (2018-06-13 09:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati is definitely Midwest.

It is west of nothing
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 14:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10 hours to the east coast and 32 hours to the west coast

The use of “Midwest” to describe Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, etc is an affront to logic

Having grown up in that region
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 14:57:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we always considered ourselves "Midwest." Granted, the term is East Coast-centric, and a throwback to an era when the Plains were considered "West" and anything from the Rockies to the Pacific the "Far West." But not all terminologies or classifications are recalibrated whenever logic changes with the times.

You must have really felt tortured when the Atlanta Falcons were in the NFC West while the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC East.

I was actually *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-06-13 15:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

KS & OH are in Midwest per Census Bureau; Denver is more
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 09:21:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

high plains than mountains /topographically (albeit less so culturally).

I would have expected Chicago or Minneapolis to host too. Once they dropped out, I don’t think any other Midwest or Great Plains city was likely.

Ohio is definitely in the Midwest.
by Wooderson  (2018-06-13 09:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Missouri is absolutely on the plains.

Having the final in NYC would be awesome
by Wooderson  (2018-06-13 08:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except that MetLife is Fake Turk (NDN TM)

That is the plan, although I don't think it's official
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 10:20:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will put in grass over the fake turk, as they did in 1994. The plan also calls for Arlington and Atlanta to host semifinal games. Those stadiums also have fake turk, as do Seattle, Cincinnati, Houston, Orlando, Montreal, Edmonton, and Foxboro.

USA still has to cut their host sites to 10
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-06-13 11:52:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So some of these smaller cities will probably get cut out.

Looking at you Nashville, Orlando, Kansas City.

Decent breakdown of the American host cities here...

KC pairs well with Edmonton
by fontoknow  (2018-06-13 13:13:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Orlando gets the ax since Miami will certainly get it.

How so? There aren't direct flights (unlike Denver).
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 14:04:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That could change obviously, but KC's airport is inferior to most all of the other options.

Major changes coming to MCI
by fontoknow  (2018-06-13 14:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which may dramatically increase air activities.

Also, I suspect we will see Denver and KC selected. The hearland won't be shut out.

Are they going to fix that awful security setup? *
by Wooderson  (2018-06-13 16:09:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Completely new terminal
by fontoknow  (2018-06-13 19:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will replace the current terminals.

MCI was state if the art when it opened. And then a short while later screening was mandated. And then the hub and spoke model came to dominate the airline industry post deregulation.

TWA consolidated operations in STL due to the horrible setup in MCI.

As Carson and Carvey said, "I did not know that." *
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 15:16:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And as McMahon and Hartman said
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 16:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I very much doubt Maryland will get 2 sites
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 12:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That means a choice between Landover and Baltimore -- although it's possible Washington DC will have a new football stadium by 2026, and therefore could host. Here are my best guesses at the cuts:

Baltimore
Orlando (don't need 2 Florida cities)
Nashville (Atlanta is close enough)
Houston (Arlington is close enough)
Denver (not as big on soccer as some cities)
Philadelphia (could lose out in crowded NE corridor)
Cincinnati (I think they'll keep one Midwestern city, and KC seems a tad more likely)

Attendance was ^ in Denver than Seattle for 2013 Gold Cup
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 14:00:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both cities had the same group. Also, DIA is better for overseas and NA connections (particularly Mexico) than a good number of others.

I'd like the following:

New York City
Los Angeles
Atlanta
Dallas
San Francisco
Miami
Seattle
Denver
2 of Boston/Philadelphia/Washington, D.C.

The difference was only 1,646
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-06-13 14:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Seattle matches were on a Thursday night (5:30 and 8 pm PT), while the Denver matches were on Sunday (1:30 and 4 pm MT).

However, I think your suggested group of 10 is reasonable, even though you have no Midwestern cities. Some of the cuts will be more difficult than others.

There were variables in favor of each location.
by TripleDomer  (2018-06-13 15:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mexico v Canada was arguably a more interesting match to El Tri's fans in Seattle than Mexico v Martinique was to El Tri's fans in Denver. Having been at the matches in Denver that day, I'm certain there were more Canadian fans in Seattle as well (although admittedly likely fewer than would have attended if the match was on a weekend).

The broader point I was trying to make was that Denver's interest in international soccer relative to Seattle's (or other cities' for that matter) shouldn't be measured solely (or even predominately) by interest in their respective MLS clubs.