I guess that the players have to do something -
by ndhouston (2018-06-21 01:27:17)
Edited on 2018-06-21 01:35:58

In reply to: FIFA needs to do something about this  posted by Irishlawyer

It sort of reminds me of the NBA. No one wants to be known as a flopper, and it seems as though the flopping has lessened just based on the collective player culture.

One anecdote from pro wrestling. I once met a guy who was an small-time pro-wrestler (this was back in the late 80s) and of course he acknowledged that the whole sport was staged and faked, which we all know. But, he said, "you can still get hurt". And then he went on to tell me about a match where the wrestlers disagreed on the script (who would win, and how), and so instead of a staged match, the bigger wrestler just beat the sh*t out of the smaller one right there in the ring. The crowd got their money's worth that night.

So I kind of wonder about the "enforcer" angle, as in "Hey Neymar, I'll be sure that the next time you crumple over in pain, that you'll feel it".

I'm sure none of the proposed solutions will work. But in my mind it has to come from the players rather than the leagues, because it's simply unfair to ask the referees to be the immediate judge of whether a player is faking an injury.