Turner and Champions League...
by iudomer (2018-07-31 12:56:35)
Edited on 2018-07-31 12:56:57

So EPL games on TBS/TNT, all others pay to stream. Assbags.

Andrew Marchand
@AndrewMarchand
For Champions League/Europa coverage, B/R Live, Turner's new over-the-top service, will charge $2.99 for individual games, $9.99 for monthly subscriptions and $79.99 for yearly. It will have 46 Champions League games on TNT and the Europa Final on TNT.

Ian Thomas
@byIanThomas
Here's the important note for the UCL group stage: "All matches will be available on B/R Live, with one match per game window (two each day) televised on TNT."

This article also covers the options well.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-08-01 14:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bleacher Report Live, eh?

Also, NBC Sports is pulling more EPL games to their Gold package.

Good stuff, thank you *
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-08-01 17:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UEFA Nations League is just a pure money grab.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-08-01 18:23:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Hey, let's monetize the friendlies!"

Nations League is another competition towards Euro 2020...
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-08-02 11:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is not, at least not technically, friendlies.

See link below to how it’s integrated with the qualifiers. 4 top Nations League winners will be going to Euro Cup’s 24 teams

Thank for the correction.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-08-02 14:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would it be correct to say they took the qualifiers and monetized them even more?

Spot on *
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-08-02 15:18:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBC can EAD
by HTownND  (2018-08-01 15:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's crap. And I say this as a Chelsea fan, even though my team is on NBCSN more often than not, but to force fans of the other clubs to pony up for their Gold package is BS

Is this not an expected reaction to cord cutting?
by dfw  (2018-08-02 13:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fewer cable subscribers mean less money from cable to the networks.

More people willing to watch stuff stream means opportunity to make money from them.

Add those two up and networks should be expected to try to build the paying set for streaming.

Sure
by HTownND  (2018-08-03 12:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that's making non cord cutters double up, because they are paying for NBCSN through cable and the Gold Package on top.

Also, in theory, I could be a cord cutter, and get NBCSN streaming (which I'd have to pay NBC for) and still not get all their games. This is still two tiers for cord cutters.

Yes. But I am a cord cutter paying for both.
by tex29  (2018-08-03 18:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get NBCSN through my PlayStation Vue, for which I pay a decent amount each month. Then I get NBC Sports Gold for a much lower amount. I guess for me it is a matter of being willing to pay extra to get every single game. I similarly buy the MLB and NHL streaming packages so I can see all out of market games. And those packages are considerably more expensive than NBC Sports Gold.

Support Watford instead then.
by NDMike2001  (2018-08-02 07:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If people supported lower level clubs like the big ones we wouldn't be talking about this.

I'm not sure how many sports you can watch every game on broadcast tv.

Just as soccer on TV starts
by Irishlawyer  (2018-08-01 16:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to get a viewing public, the people that televise the game decide to make it a niche sport again... because Santanta Sports had such success with that model!

Man, I had basically forgotten about Setanta Sports. *
by ChicagoWave03  (2018-08-02 09:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give me your $20 every Saturday morning, cheers! *
by 3rdSt  (2018-08-02 18:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sadly, I ponied up. *
by Irishlawyer  (2018-08-06 19:38:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. However, by inference,
by ChicagoWave03  (2018-08-01 16:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perhaps they are not getting enough from advertising revenue to support replacing programming on sister networks with games between teams with lower viewership. That's disappointing, but given the overall quality of the product they provide, I guess i'll take the trade-off over the alternative (Fox, Turner, or lower quality product given less investment).

Or maybe they're just making a blatant revenue grab.

Admittedly, Arsenal is usually going to be on TV, so that colors the view slightly

I agree. And I pay for the gold package.
by tex29  (2018-08-01 20:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sponsors aren’t going to pay much for a match between Wolves and Brighton. Anyone who wants to watch that game can contribute to NBC’s costs of televising it.

Sure
by HTownND  (2018-08-03 12:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But NBC sports is getting my money whether I watch that match or not.

Now they want more money to watch it than the subsidy I'm already providing them.

Here’s the Champions League (and other competitions) primer
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-07-31 22:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Univision Deportes.

Beginning in 2018, Univision Deportes will hold the exclusive U.S. Spanish-language television and livestreaming rights to the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, featuring matches between some of the best and most popular club fútbol teams and stars of the pitch.

Delivering three times more fútbol viewing opportunities than any other broadcaster, Univision Deportes will kick off August 2018 airing the world’s most prestigious club tournament, the UEFA Champions League. 138 Champions League matches will livestream exclusively in Spanish across Univision Deportes digital platforms, with 102 of those highly anticipated games set to broadcast on Univision, UDN, UniMás and Galavisión.

Also in August 2018, the UEFA Europa League will kick off on Univision Deportes, featuring a premier roster of clubs and players from the top leagues in Europe. Univision Deportes will air over 70 UEFA Europa League soccer games live on UDN, UniMás and Galavisión, providing unprecedented coverage and exposure for the UEFA Europa League.

Not only will the top UEFA club tournaments hit the air in 2018, but Univision will also welcome the best national team league in the world, the UEFA Nations League, which will see 55 UEFA national teams compete for glory and country pride. Univision Deportes will kick off broadcast of the 2018 UEFA Nations League with over 55 fútbol matches airing on UDN and UniMás.

Additionally, U.S. fans will have access to the 2020 UEFA European Championship, along with all the qualifiers for 2020 UEFA European Championship and all the European qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

TNT, TBS, Bleacher Report et. al. can go shit in a hat. They won’t even have their own announcers -they will use another station’s feed.

Another option is to watch the Champions League through fuboTV.

All in all, yes it’ll all be in Spanish, but as was the case with the World Cup, everything is far superior with Spanish network coverage, despite the fact that, well, it’s in a foreign language to (most of) you.

P.S. Spanish coverage of “futbol” does not have the delay English networks’ telecast have.

P.S.S. Every game is on the Univision app for free with a logged-in cable subscription.

You’re welcome.

sans Lalas - additional bonus *
by mitquinn  (2018-08-01 01:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What’s B/R Live? Online? *
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-07-31 15:03:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bleacher Report...
by iudomer  (2018-07-31 15:19:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Turner owns BR, thus their push to people going there especially for NCAA bball.

How is this different than the current Fox deal?
by NDBass  (2018-07-31 13:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't think all UCL games were available for free on Fox, but I could be mistaken. I seem to recall I used a free trial every time I streamed a game. Are the rates for streaming that mush different? Or are you assuming (probably correctly) that a game involving an EPL team will always be the one televised?

Fox had 146 games on FS1/FS2...
by iudomer  (2018-07-31 15:18:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zito
@_Zeets
"The only Europa League game featured on television will be the final. Meanwhile, TNT will televise 46 UEFA Champions League games throughout the season. That’s in stark contrast to FOX Sports’ coverage of the Champions League where they showed 146 games per season"

Yikes
by mitquinn  (2018-07-31 21:09:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume this is how B/R secured another round of funding.

Thanks.
by NDBass  (2018-07-31 20:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't really care about Europa. I don't get FS2, so maybe that's why it seemed about the same to me.