I can’t say I always follow the USWNT, but when I do...
by wiNDycityfan (2018-08-02 22:46:44)
Edited on 2018-08-02 22:54:58

they’re well ahead than their opposition in confidence, technique, ball down situations, and above all, pace and hustle.

They play with a lot of camaraderie and moxie - perhaps because they’ve played together long and won a lot - and they seem to do just about everything they set out to do. Today they had to win by 2 to win the tournament, so they won by 3. The last set piece goal was a beauty.

I can only dream the USMNT get the kind of coach that makes them believe they can play with that confidence, win or lose - nothing like the last round of pussies.

Congrats to these girls. Morgan, Rapinoe, Ertz, Horan, Dunn - whatever happened to Carli? - are all playing at a very high level. Look forward to the qualifiers and next year’s World Cup.

The offense does click, but the defense needs to be rebuilt
by domerduck  (2018-08-04 12:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all adding Tobin to those other 5 you mentioned is key (which volley brought up) as she is a magician with the ball and has created some very creative opportunities in this tourney. Horan has taken over Carli's role and she is younger, bigger, stronger, and effective at playmaking/finishing and gets back for D like Carli did. For now they can outscore most teams.

The issue is they need to improve the defense especially against the better European teams since th WC is in Europe. As much as Hope Solo was a jerk she was an anchor back there and when Ertz was still on defense, Kilngenberg was on the team, and Becky Saurbrunn was younger, they were very effective. Now it's a sieve. The best NWSL defender from their top team (Carolina Couage's Hinkle) is being left off because of PC reasons and that doesn't help. Somehow they need to put together a strong back 4. I think Sonnett as adequately replaced Ertz role as defense attacker. She's still young, fast, and puts a great head on in corners because of her height. Still the other two need to be replaced and B ecky has to be D captain like she did at the last WC. Also I think 2017 NWSL goalie of the year Adrianna Franch would be a big step up on goalie given her reaction skills and leadership.

That's my opinion. I am sure there are others.

PC reasons?
by NDLAW88  (2018-08-05 14:40:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can argue that Hinkle is virulently anti-gay. Many USWNT teammates are gay. Bad chemistry. Even if you feel she is being discriminated against for her religious beliefs, there is no real issue here as far as I'm concerned. Whatever missing skill set she might add very easily could be offset by whatever bad blood and bad chemistry her presence may create.

Yet NC's chemistry's fine-dominates NWSL. Hinkle & Erceg
by domerduck  (2018-08-06 21:47:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are clearly the two best defenders on the team as they are the only NC defenders who have been on multiple 2018 NWSL "team of the months". Erceg from New Zealand is gay whose girlfriend is another Courage player and Hinkle has strong religious beliefs. Hinkle also leads the NC defenders with 4 assists. Her coach has called her the best defender in the league.

They have by far the best defense in the league and the've keep very good NWSL teams with loads of USWNT and other WC team's offensive stars from even getting shots off and scoring. I would love the Thorns to have their "chemistry" the way they dominated Portland yesterday. I watched the entire game as they kept the potent Thorns offense to only 9 shots with only 2 on goal. Their only score was a perfect set play direct kick from Tobin to Horan's head. On the other side the D created so many counters that NC got off 31 shots with 10 on goal and required an incredible effort by Franch to keep theirs scores down to 2.

"Virulently anti-gay"?
by KevinPS  (2018-08-06 11:21:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She isn't "anti" anyone. She simply didn't feel that wearing the "gay pride" uniform that the various teams were sporting in June was consistent with her beliefs. She didn't say she didn't like or love her gay teammates, etc. Her religious beliefs are consistent with Christian doctrine that's been around for 2,000 years. I believe Hinkle's club manager as well as several of her teammates support her position, even if they don't agree with it.
This will stun some people, you apparently among them: You can disagree with someone's beliefs and/or behavior and still like and love them and like to hang around with them. I know a ton of people that I've met in my life. I only dislike two of them. One is a married man and one is a married woman. They are not gay. We have a young man who's sort of become part of our family who is gay. His name is Nick. I love Nick. I believe his sexual activity is harmful to him. He knows this. He knows I love him. It's not a bone of contention between us. I also know a number of people, young and older, that are involved in casual "straight" sexual relationships. I also believe that their sexual activities are harmful to them. It doesn't stop me from loving and liking them.

Gay marriage putting this country "farther away from God"
by NDLAW88  (2018-08-06 18:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the only hope is more prayer is what she essentially tweeted after the Supreme Court decision. She can have all the beliefs she wants. Doesn't mean she gets to play USWNT soccer. Or be someone the rest of the team wants as a teammate. She's the one who tweeted it. No one forced her to.

If the whole team was straight and deeply religious
by Irishlawyer  (2018-08-06 19:37:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and she was the only good defender we had and was gay, should she play even though she's not someone the rest of the team wants as a teammate? I'd say yes. I think the same the other way around.

It's funny that we teach our kids that "they have to respect the coach" and "they have to respect the ref" and "they have to get along with their teammates" and then they become pros and they get to act like f'n babies.

Honestly, if she had a problem with the USWNT jerseys, I think the USWNT has the right to sit her (just as NFL teams have a right to do whatever they like about the anthem fiasco). But making roster decisions in a sport where there is a bit of an objective measure of skill based on political beliefs is VERY dangerous.

I don't think this is a problem with teamates-it's the fans.
by domerduck  (2018-08-06 21:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some gay fans and allies don't want to tolerate a person with these religious beliefs and gave a strong vocal backlash to her call-up which I believe USWNT officials responded to minimize the PR problem. Even before this recent issue, I was at the Thorn/Courage match in Providence Park where NC beat Portland 4-1. Many Portland fans booed Hinkle every time she touched the ball. USWNT should have seen it coming before inviting her this round.

people not tolerating other people
by irishlawyer  (2018-08-06 22:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

heh.

This is a societal problem to be sure and it seems to be coming to a head in every facet of society.

I think age has finally caught up to Carli
by volley  (2018-08-03 12:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They did look good last night. Tobin Heath brings a playmaking element that they've been missing. I know that her style of play can be problematic at times, but she can also do some really good things that the others can't.