The offense does click, but the defense needs to be rebuilt
by domerduck (2018-08-04 12:15:09)
Edited on 2018-08-04 12:19:02

In reply to: I can’t say I always follow the USWNT, but when I do...  posted by wiNDycityfan

First of all adding Tobin to those other 5 you mentioned is key (which volley brought up) as she is a magician with the ball and has created some very creative opportunities in this tourney. Horan has taken over Carli's role and she is younger, bigger, stronger, and effective at playmaking/finishing and gets back for D like Carli did. For now they can outscore most teams.

The issue is they need to improve the defense especially against the better European teams since th WC is in Europe. As much as Hope Solo was a jerk she was an anchor back there and when Ertz was still on defense, Kilngenberg was on the team, and Becky Saurbrunn was younger, they were very effective. Now it's a sieve. The best NWSL defender from their top team (Carolina Couage's Hinkle) is being left off because of PC reasons and that doesn't help. Somehow they need to put together a strong back 4. I think Sonnett as adequately replaced Ertz role as defense attacker. She's still young, fast, and puts a great head on in corners because of her height. Still the other two need to be replaced and B ecky has to be D captain like she did at the last WC. Also I think 2017 NWSL goalie of the year Adrianna Franch would be a big step up on goalie given her reaction skills and leadership.

That's my opinion. I am sure there are others.

Replies: