EPL predictions?
by iudomer (2018-08-07 11:01:10)

Top 4:
City, Liverpool, United, Spurs

Bottom 3:
Newcastle (Fat Toad resigns soon), Cardiff, Huddersfield

Mine...
by ChicagoWave03  (2018-08-09 14:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HTown's point about the top 4 changing every year recently is interesting, but I'm having a hard time seeing Arsenal or Chelsea take the leap, unless Mou just crashes United out or Spurs are just too tired from the long summer:

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. United
5/6 - Arsenal and Chelsea

Bottom 3:
Huddersfield, BHA, Cardiff

City, Pool, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal
by tex29  (2018-08-09 08:47:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn’t be shocked if Pool won the league, given how well Klopp sides match up against Guardiola. Though I find the conviction with which Pool fans believe they will win the league a little amusing. Yes, you’ve had a nice transfer window. And yes, City largely stood pat (£60 million Mahrez aside). But City got 100(!) points last season and beat Liverpool by 25(!) points.

Do you really think your keeper cost you 25 points?

I have no problem with optimism, and Pool fans may ultimately end up being correct. But boldly proclaiming glory in overcoming a 25 point deficit seems a bit silly to me.

EDIT: I’m taking a flyer on Chelsea. I really like the Sarri hire, and I expect big things from Hazard under his tutelage. It may take longer to gel than one season, though. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see United or Spurs finishing third. I don’t quite know what to expect from Arsenal. They picked up a solid coach, but I don’t expect much improvement.

A few things:
by NDBass  (2018-08-09 10:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) I don't think Liverpool will win the league. I think they have a chance, but I don't think they will.
2) A combination of things cost them 25 points - GK, CB (addressed at least one half-way through and Lovren was getting better with VVD), and a lack of depth (still a concern at CB).
3) They don't have to overcome a 25 point deficit. All teams currently have 0 points.

I heard an interesting take on a potential Pool title.
by tex29  (2018-08-10 13:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know that I buy it, but it seems at least sensible. His theory was that City still had a better squad overall, but he thinks Guardiola and City will go all out in the Champions League at the expense of defending the EPL title. In other words, if there is a scheduling conflict, City’s best will be rested during EPL games in an effort to keep them fresh for the Champions League.

Liverpool, on the other hand, care much less about the Champions League and will be almost single-mindedly focused on breaking the EPL drought. That, combined with Klopp’s having Guardiola’s number in key head-to-head matchups, will help Pool bridge the gap.

Response:
by tex29  (2018-08-09 10:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. I agree Pool has a chance, and to the extent you aren’t predicting a championship, my post wasn’t directed at you.
2. City played the entire season without a left back. Obviously, every team rises and falls based on weaknesses within their squad. Keeper, however, is the only position (beyond squad depth) that Liverpool dramatically upgraded. City now have a left back and Mahrez, so they should be better too. To suggest Liverpool were a first-half CB and a keeper away from overtaking a team that finished 25 points above them seems a bit too rose-colored glasses for me. But I’m as full of it as anyone, so I could be wrong.
3. True, but one who is predicting Pool over City should explain how Pool’s additions make them superior to a team that beat them by 25 points the previous season.

City, Spurs, Liverpool, ManU
by steez_nutz  (2018-08-07 20:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bottom 3: Southampton, Wolverhampton, BHA.

Did anyone fire up the fantasy league?

Here's the link...
by iudomer  (2018-08-07 21:21:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Down the board some.

Is this open to anyone?
by TCFC  (2018-08-08 08:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Haven't done it in the past but I'm kind of intrigued to join this year.

Yep *
by Siegfried08  (2018-08-08 14:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm waiting for EOD Thursday
by HTownND  (2018-08-07 18:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before I respond.

But I'll just say this for the collective

Here are the top 4s from the past 5 years.
2014 - City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
2015 - Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United
2016 - Leicester, Arsenal, Tottenham, City
2017 - Chelsea, Tottenham, City, Liverpool
2018 - City, United, Tottenham, Liverpool

It's very possible and even likely, we will have the same top 4 this year that ended the year last year in the top 4, but I personally wouldn't bet on it. There has been a minimum of 1 team that doesn't make it from one year to the next.

City is the only team to finish in the top 4 each of the past 5 seasons
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham have been in 3 out of the last 5 (with Tottenham on a 3 year streak)
United has done it twice
Leicester once

Again, I'm waiting because there seems to be a ton of transfer irons in fires, but my top 4 will most likely include City and Tottenham, the rest are TBD, but I'm not going to have the same top 4 as last year.

Damn it
by Irish01  (2018-08-07 20:06:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was looking for an opportunity for a smart ass response about Chelsea, but unfortunately I agree with you. Outside of City I think it’s a wild card on who is left out. Liverpool is next in line for me followed by Spurs, United, & Chelsea. Arsenal would be a surprise, but they’re in the discussion. As interesting, who will rise from the middle to compete?

On Chelsea
by HTownND  (2018-08-08 11:47:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm still trying to figure out the starting XI. The late start for Sarri with the WC has been brutal.

It's probably something like this

Kepa

Azpi Rudiger Christensen Alonso

Kante Jorginho RLC

Willian Hazard
Morata/Giroud

But that's just a guess at this point. Kovacic, I'm not sure where he's going to fit, same with Moses and Barkley, etc. I'm sure we'll see some heavy rotation in the midfield, there isn't much cover on the wings for Willian and Hazard beyond Pedro, and I don't love the Morata/Giroud up front option. But that's also not a terrible starting XI either.

Going to be interesting, if any new manager needed patience during the Abramovich era, it's Sarri, we'll see if he gets it.

Pool, City, Spurs, Arsenal *
by someguy  (2018-08-07 16:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Citeh, Pool, Spurs, United *
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-08-07 16:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mine
by Siegfried08  (2018-08-07 15:11:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool
City
United
Spurs

Newcastle
Watford
Cardiff

My picks
by CuzTeahan  (2018-08-07 11:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top Four

City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

Bottom Three

Cardiff
Huddersfield
Brighton & Hove Albion