A few things:
by NDBass (2018-08-09 10:14:15)

In reply to: City, Pool, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal  posted by tex29

1) I don't think Liverpool will win the league. I think they have a chance, but I don't think they will.
2) A combination of things cost them 25 points - GK, CB (addressed at least one half-way through and Lovren was getting better with VVD), and a lack of depth (still a concern at CB).
3) They don't have to overcome a 25 point deficit. All teams currently have 0 points.

I heard an interesting take on a potential Pool title.
by tex29  (2018-08-10 13:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know that I buy it, but it seems at least sensible. His theory was that City still had a better squad overall, but he thinks Guardiola and City will go all out in the Champions League at the expense of defending the EPL title. In other words, if there is a scheduling conflict, City’s best will be rested during EPL games in an effort to keep them fresh for the Champions League.

Liverpool, on the other hand, care much less about the Champions League and will be almost single-mindedly focused on breaking the EPL drought. That, combined with Klopp’s having Guardiola’s number in key head-to-head matchups, will help Pool bridge the gap.

Response:
by tex29  (2018-08-09 10:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. I agree Pool has a chance, and to the extent you aren’t predicting a championship, my post wasn’t directed at you.
2. City played the entire season without a left back. Obviously, every team rises and falls based on weaknesses within their squad. Keeper, however, is the only position (beyond squad depth) that Liverpool dramatically upgraded. City now have a left back and Mahrez, so they should be better too. To suggest Liverpool were a first-half CB and a keeper away from overtaking a team that finished 25 points above them seems a bit too rose-colored glasses for me. But I’m as full of it as anyone, so I could be wrong.
3. True, but one who is predicting Pool over City should explain how Pool’s additions make them superior to a team that beat them by 25 points the previous season.