ND Women beat Loyola Sunday 2 to 1
by FightingIrishRadio (2018-08-20 09:22:21)

ND dominated the match, but the game was scoreless until ND gave the Ramblers a gift inside the 71st minute. Freshman keeper Mattie Interian was unable to control a pass from Rachel Heard and a pressing forward from Loyola was able to score the game's first goal. Heard was closely marked and chose to pass back to Interian instead of kicking it out of bounds. From the stands, it appeared that the pass was either too fast or perhaps a bit offline and not a clearing whiff by Interian.

Up to that point, ND had outshot the Loyola 17 to 2.

ND squared the match less than four minutes later. Jennifer Westendorf slipped a pass to Sabrina Flores for ND's first goal. Sabrina returned the favor a few minutes later on a well-placed corner kick that found Westendorf on the far post for a game winning header.

There was a scary moment earlier in the second half -- Eva Hurm went down and left the game. It appeared she cracked heads with a Loyola player on a challenged header. She didn't return to the game, but appeared to be walking normally after the game.

what's up with the und.com "highlights"?
by Melanzana  (2018-08-20 23:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can't show the opponents' goals? If not, don't call them "highlights" but "Notre Dame highlights."

So lame.

agreed, this happens often in college sports. I hate it *
by spade  (2018-08-23 19:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After 42-0 advantage over Loyola, that goal was painful.
by domerduck  (2018-08-21 15:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No need to see the highlights the goalie kicked it back right to the Loyola girl running past the ND defender and kicked it in. Got me nervous with my wife a Loyola Grad we were down 1-0. Lucky we showed our experienced talent with Flores and Westendorf combining for both goal. Now it's ND 44, Loyola 1.

The opponent barely exists in today's sports information
by MPG  (2018-08-21 10:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

world. If you go to other teams' sites you'll see the same "only our team's highlights." These videos remind me of the Monty Python soccer match versus a team of Long John Silvers!

Agreed..... *
by dillon77  (2018-08-21 08:42:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, all you observations are accurate. Heard was running
by MPG  (2018-08-20 14:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

toward the goal with the Loyola attacker right behind her and the pass to the goalie had too much force to be handled cleanly at such close range. The Loyola goal did seem to add some focus to the ND offense and the two ND goals came quickly afterwards.

Sabrina Flores created many offensive chances for ND teammates and showed great agility in scoring her goal.

First rate synopsis
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-08-20 09:36:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The way you describe the 71st minute gift was also the way I saw it from the screen.

A Few Observations To Add...
by dillon77  (2018-08-20 15:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..the the very accurate summaries offered here.

- I worry a bit about this recessed 4-deep back line (really a 1-2-1)
precisely for what happened in this game As much as I like ???? as a defender, she's not the most adept ball handler and Shannon Hendricks is more of a wing playing inside

My gut tells me Natalie Jacobs might've reverted to center back had she not transferred to USC (dang..) and Coach Norman wanted some experience in the middle. Still, like commentator Katie Uehler(sp?), I prefer my center backs a bit taller.

Stay tuned.

- So Loyola put 9 players in the box and four of them on Westendorf's left foot. Then 5 after Hurm went out. Still, Jen was wide open on the corner and did what she was supposed to. Stupid talent. What a joy to watch.

- Love Martinez.already is a factor. Will be a star.
- I know VanDyck graduated early from HS Is she 17? She's got the gift of being around the ball when it counts. Like her
..and the lesser-rated recruit, Kelly Moss, has good field presence. Get her time...somewhere.

- Love Hurm...don't get hurt, Eva!

- I've watched Sabrina Flores since she was a 9th grader in northern NJ. Such a joy watch her continually, calmly gt better.