The women continue their winning ways with a 1-0 OT victory
by BabaGhanouj (2018-08-23 22:54:58)
Edited on 2018-08-23 23:54:13

over Stony Brook. Jenna Winebrenner delivers a low cross to the right foot of Kelly Moss who kicks it in forty seconds into first overtime.

Is it just me, or does ND look like a different team without Eva Hurm?

Good Coaching
by RyanShaySalvo  (2018-08-24 15:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My brief synopsis of the match as viewed from my MacBook Air:

1. Stony Brook are well coached; not the same calibre of player as the Irish but they are not chopped liver.
2. For most of this match the Irish tried to bully Stony Brook, lost their patience repeatedly, and squandered what looked to be nicely developing opportunities to break down their opponent. But they are relentless in attack with difference makers coming from multiple angles, which is exciting to see.
3. I am guessing the Irish have run the sequence that led to the goal a bunch of times in training. They were calm, did not rush themselves, were obviously reading their keys, and executed like a good team should. That has to be on the coaching staff.

No, It's Not You. Eva Hurm Is Essential.
by dillon77  (2018-08-24 08:52:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..she has the ability to go at a defender hard and change direction. Or simply outrun a defender (while dribbling), drawing double teams and opening up slots

Got to see her do this for years when she was playing for great Northern Highlands teams in New Jersey and she's doing it here, too.

Hope this injury does not linger too long.
Brook Van Dyck can create some separation, as can Brianna Martinez (get her back in the lineup coach!).

Kelly Moss, btw, is a really solid player...saw her in NJ a few times.

Coming Sunday, Butler's star is Paige Monaghan who played against Hurm and the Flores twins. She's got a rocket long shot...

Completely agree about Eva
by FightingIrishRadio  (2018-08-24 09:46:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really thought her presence would have led to more solid chances last night. When she left the Loyola game, it appeared she banged heads, because she had no brace/boot/or limp following the game.

Brianna Martinez didn't start last night, but she was inserted in the first half and I believe she played all of the second half.

Brooke Van Dyke is quite short -- but she is quick and strong. Freshman heights aren't posted on und.com yet, but she was standing next to Sabrina in the pre-game introduction/anthem line, and Sabrina is noticeably taller, and she's listed at 5'3".

I saw Eva with the team, but not in uniform as they
by MPG  (2018-08-25 10:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

left the field at half-time.

This is a team that should improve during the season as the many young players gain experience. There will be some rough moments in ACC play.

I watched some of the NC-Texas game.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-08-25 11:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both teams seemed to have some girls that, well, I'll use my favorite line from Thomas Hardy,…"A little bit thick in the flitch perhaps: but I like a woman that a puff o' wind won't blow down."

Many on ND's team may get bounced around a bit when we play North Carolina.

Thank you for the Thomas Hardy quote. ND lacks height
by MPG  (2018-08-26 14:05:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and power, as well as top players from Illinois. What happened to the DuPage County pipeline?

Martinez, VanDyck and Moss Are All Promising..
by dillon77  (2018-08-24 10:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As said, while Martinez isn't quite as fast as Hurm, she's got a smooth gait that gets up to speed and keeps going. Excellent "handle," to borrow a phrase from hoops, and boy I love her crosses.

One of the things that I love -- and I bet Coach Norman does, too -- about Moss is working hard to find space on the weak side, via runs or just scoping around. She'll get a lot of goals that way.

VanDyck is short. Really short..with a center of gravity around our ankles, but that's a plus in crowds.

Brooke VanDyck's height is one of the best kept secrets
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-08-24 11:16:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the internet, but I had tracked it down as 5'3" and posted as such in an earlier post. However, like FightingIrishRadio, I compared her to Sabrina in videos and thus my comment "(and that may be generous)". Here is the story where I found her height reported. Who's knows how accurate it is? All this is more or less in fun, since, like Dillon, I have no problem with her height to the point that it seems to help her soccer game. Like Sabrina, no one's has much of a chance to take the ball away one-on-one. She seems poised to make a big difference in ND soccer.