Ugly loss for the ND Women at Butler 1-4...New coach's 1st
by domerduck (2018-08-26 21:16:40)

loss. Didn't catch it on Big East network. Maybe somebody saw it to tell us what happened. Promising start just went dud.

Here's the UND recap.

It was ugly, but mostly it was hot.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-08-26 22:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By hot I mean 120° on the pitch, according to some heat index the announcers brought up. Basically, the match made one rethink ND's traditional strategy of playing up-tempo, offensive oriented soccer. Butler is well-known for playing defensive soccer. The weather was too much to overcome with an up tempo, offensive game.

One could see the value of a defensively minded team with a very good forward in Paige Monaghan. Even on a cooler day ND needs to make multiple perfect passes in the offensive third. Butler needed just one off-target pass and they had a break with Paige. The heat along with Butler's style was too much.

We also had a penalty kick denied which would have tied the game 1-1.

Agree,, But There Are Some Areas I'm Wondering About....
by dillon77  (2018-08-27 13:22:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heat did have an effect, but Butler's style and/or slight changes were better prepared for it. Plus, I think Hurm wasn't all there due to her "dinger" and the heat.

First, I'm still not totally sold on Coach Norman's decision to push his wing defenders considerably up the field from the get go, particularly when there is a new "duo" at center back, including one player who has never played it. (Ms Hendricks)

- When I heard Natalie Ward was out and ND had (among others) Jenna Winebrenner and Brianna Martinez on the wings, I was concerned.
Monaghan nearly has the speed of Eva Hurm and has a cannon right leg, akin to Westendorf's left leg. Give her an inch and she takes a mile.
Pay dirt....

- Regarding the defensive middle, I loved Hendricks...but more on the outside. Just prefer a taller player to fill space in the middle.

Does the squad have a natural, more physical defensive player? Chloe Boice? Or move Martel-LaMothe to center Defense? Or bring in Kate O'Connor to play sheriff at D-mid?

I'm not suggesting this change right yet, but it looks pretty iffy back there right now, particularly with untested goalies.

On offense:

Lot of young talented forwards and middies who will only get better.
Wingate sets up shop and looks to score. Like Moss's all-round game.

Still, Irish need to:
- Get the ball on Westendorf's foot early and often. Why didn't she take that penalty kick (if she was not in)? Also, anything restart within shooting distance, give it to her. Sabrina can take the corners, give the rest to Jennifer.

- I like Sammi Fisher's moxie, but can she unleash her kicks a little closer to the box?

- Speaking of which -- as a crusty old club coach -- can we work on form so a lot of these long-range shots don't resemble field goal attempts?

Plus, Irish were playing on fake turf yesterday.....nothing wrong with using that to put some serious spin on a bouncer (a la Monaghan's first goal).

- Hard cuts/runs from the weak side. Moss/Martinez/Flores work hard to center balls. Work hard to get in place to receive them.

Hopefully, these are growing pains for a team that has players learning new positions and a lot of frosh/untested sophomores in the lineup.