I have to come to conclusion he likes Stanford over ND.
by domerduck (2018-09-22 15:19:24)
Edited on 2018-09-22 15:28:33

In reply to: Savvy's reverse Midas touch is glorious to behold. *  posted by hibernianangst

Prior to Savvy-Stanford had ZERO national championships and since then they've been to the finals 7 times (women 4, men last 3) and now they have 5 National championships with their men AND women winning last year. ND had been to 7 finals (2 NCs) before Swarbrick and did get two more with the coaches that were in place before Swarbrick, winning both. Both Stanford and ND have now been to the same number of NCAA finals, in their combined men/women history but Stanford is currently much more successful.

For the ND women, in 14 years Randy Waldrum went 279–50–16 (84.8%) and his successors hired by Swarbrick now in their fifth year are only 55-26-13 (67.9%) with the current team/new coach now under .500 with 5 losses for the first time during their current 25 year NCAA tourney qualifying run after 9 matches. It has actually been since 1989 when the coach was Dennis Grace, the last year before ND AD Dick Rosenthal hired Chris Petrucelli, ND's 1st National Championship coach that they had lost 5 or more games in their 1st 9. They were 3-6 back then with their only wins over Lake Forest, St. Joseph's, and Western Michigan. This year our 4 wins are over Cental Michigam, Stony Brook, Loyola-Chicago, and Cincinnati, not real powerhouses.

The men do not have the history of success as the women, but since Bobby Clark was hired (from Stanford), we have been 216-93-55 (66.9%). It has only been 7 games with the new coach, but disappointing we only have 3 wins. All 3 losses have been against top 5 teams and if we could only end the matches better we would have better results. I am more optimistic with the ND men. Unless there is a miracle, the women wil; have their worst year since the 80's given how strong the ACC is. I agree it's all on an incompetent, lazy AD in Swarbrick, who I am not proud is a fellow alumnus.