College Cup
by TerramarIrish (2018-12-08 00:22:11)
Edited on 2018-12-08 00:28:56

Saw the 2nd half of Sparty v Akron and first half of IU v Maryland

By the time we got to game1, Akron was already up 3-0. Maybe what I saw wasn’t indicative of how the game got that way, but it looked like the Zips were just waiting to spring counters. Fair play to them though - they were very organized defending, and lightning quick in transition.

Both Akron goals I saw came from the ball going out to the left flank and a midfielder cutting in on their right foot. Sparty defenders failed to step to the ball. Too easy.

In the 2nd game (we left at half...b8 has a game at 8am tomorrow) IU looked pretty gutless. Although, their left midfielder (#21) looked like he could cause some trouble - pinged a couple decent balls in. Maryland were having the better of it, more possession, higher up the field, and managed to pop in a goal (albeit a scrappy one).

Based on what I saw, I don’t see Akron getting beat on Sunday.

That very thing happened.
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-12-10 09:13:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your national champs: Terps. They won 1-0.

I know, I was there
by TerramarIrish  (2018-12-11 23:44:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I'm back here to eat my crow.

Maryland was absolutely the better team on Sunday. Akron looked good for about the first 20 minutes, but after that it was pretty much all Terps.

No crow to eat.
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-12-12 10:10:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Appreciate the updates. Feel a bit bad for Akron. Schools don't get shots at NCs very often.