If the Madrid of the past month shows up
by KnightlyRevue (2018-12-17 16:44:27)
Edited on 2018-12-17 16:46:28

In reply to: CL knockout draw  posted by wcnitz

and the Ajax that played Bayern in group shows up I expect Madrid to be out in 16s. Not that it matters much...they aren't winning it this year. They are so lost right now it would take a miracle for them to turn it around and bring any significant silverware home.

P.S. I hope every EPL team gets bounced this round. Doubt it happens as Man City continues to have a horseshoe up their butt but I can dream.

Horseshoes up their butts?
by tex29  (2018-12-17 22:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They haven’t had their best player (Kevin De Bruyne) the whole season. Their only left back (Benjamin Mendy) has also been out for months and will probably not be fit anytime soon. David Silva and Sergio Aguero are also injured and have missed significant games. Yes, they have had a decent draw so far (which perhaps makes up for the absolutely brutal run of several consecutive years in the group of death). But I don’t think any fair minded person can say they’ve been lucky this season.

Fair points though
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-12-18 10:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would hardly call their last two years of placement in the Champions the groups of death. In 2017/2018 they drew Basel in the 16s and got absolutely destroyed by Liverpool in 8s including a 2-1 loss at the Etihad.

I would hardly call their 2016 draw group of death. Sure, they had Barca in group but they also Gladbach and Celta...hardly world beaters. They then got Monaco in 16s and lost. Again, hardly world beaters.

Sure, they have had injuries this year but their Champions performance has been seriously lacking and it hasn't been the draw.

That’s true. But I was referring to its groups in
by tex29  (2018-12-18 17:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prior years:

2011-12: Bayern, Napoli, Villarreal
2012-13: Dortmund, Real Madrid, Ajax
2013-14: Bayern, CSKA, Plzen
2014-15: Bayern, Roma, CSKA
2015-16: Juventus, Sevilla, Mönchengladbach

City hasn’t exactly been lucky in its draws.

It's a little chicken-egg given pot they were coming from
by ChicagoWave03  (2018-12-19 12:33:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in those earlier years. However, on the original point, I agree. They had a brutal run of groups over that time.

Yeah, the pots definitely didn’t help. But there were
by tex29  (2018-12-19 20:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

still much easier groups they could have been drawn in each season. On the whole, even considering City’s favorable draws the past two seasons, they’ve had terrible luck in the Champions League.

Ajax is favored, apparently
by wcnitz  (2018-12-17 16:48:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But a lot can change in 2 months.

They should be.
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-12-17 16:55:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Madrid has zero confidence. Bale is always hurt. Isco in the doghouse. Asencio has lost all confidence and plays like a corpse. Mariano is hurt and doesn't play anyway because of every Real coaches love affair with Benzema.

Unless Madrid can somehow get Icardi (they wont) or get some firepower up front they have zero chance. It has hurt but I never thought I would see Real's midfield be average but average they are and the defense is below average with significant stars. Kroos and Modric either have World Cup hangovers or age and the significant amount of kilometers on the field have caught up with them. I am depressed but no complaints. This generation of Madrid produced. They were bound to have a down period after Cristiano.