I feel it is tough to compare the leagues
by KnightlyRevue (2018-12-20 15:12:55)
Edited on 2018-12-20 15:43:19

In reply to: 3 team league  posted by wcnitz

everyone talks about the general strength of the EPL but really only Man City, ManU, and Chelsea have won consistently since 2000. Arsenal won twice in that time period (2001+2003) but so did Valencia in La Liga (Oddly, also in 2001+2003). In the EPL you had Leicester's odd year but in La Liga you had Atletico win just as recently.

When you look at the European club championships there is no contest who has performed better. England needed Chelsea and ManU to win their last Europa titles in 2013 and 2017 while Spain has won 8 Europa's with Sevilla (5) and Atletico (3) since 2005. Champions is the same story. Spain has done consistently better since 2005 and it has been more than Madrid and Barca. Just last year, Sevilla knocked out ManU.

I feel money has ruined all leagues, and my bias for Spain is obvious, but for me the more compelling teams are in Spain when you look at all competitions and even the league itself.

Disclaimer: I just love soccer. I am not saying this to upset anyone as I follow La Liga, EPL, and Bundesliga pretty closely.

I don't look at champs, but individual games for interesting
by spade  (2018-12-20 16:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the EPL, every team could beat the big dogs 80% of the time. They often don't win, but I feel there is often a chance, with few complete blowouts. I don't feel like Eibar or Huesca really will ever have that chance.

Since I do like Spurs but also like just watching any ole EPL game, the, for example, West Ham vs Leicester holds more interest for me in the EPL than for a similar middle-level game in any other Euro League (except maybe Bundesliga).

I understand your point but Eibar
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-12-20 16:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was a poor example as they just beat Real Madrid 3-0. A complete thrashing. They are a tiny club but have had 2 very competitive years where they have beat many of the top clubs. Huesca is a team that was just promoted to La LIga who I would liken to Fulham or Huddersfield. They are hopeless.

Different strokes for different folks. I get the same pleasure that you do watching West Ham v Leicester from watching Athletic Bilbao (they are having a putrid year) play Villareal, Espanyol, or Betis. I find the style of play in La Liga more appealing with a higher premium on skill and ball movement.

Upside of La Liga
by wcnitz  (2018-12-21 08:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of Ray Hudsonisms.

The neck's twisting like Linda Blair in the exorcist!

Slipperier than a greased eel in a boot!

MAGESTERIAL!

Hahaha...you and I have discussed previously
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-12-21 10:15:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ray is the best. His best one this year...

Madrid was playing someone and Kroos gets in front of a rocket ball that hits him directly in the fruit stand.

Ray's comment:

"Ooomph...that will make your brown eyes blue Phil but that is Tony Kroos; sacrificing his body for the cause."

Cool, gotcha *
by spade  (2018-12-20 17:13:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post