He'll play there
by wcnitz (2019-01-02 10:47:54)

In reply to: Chelsea has signed Pulisic  posted by ndfaninkc

More than he would at Liverpool, at least.

Dortmund fleeced Chelsea, though.

Chelsea should be able to monetize even modest success
by CuzTeahan  (2019-01-02 15:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Pulisic, with US fan interest off the charts, especially with better visibility through the NBC deal. Jerseys and potential fan growth for the club will have great upside for Chelsea.

When I saw City versus Dortmund in the preseason at Soldier Field, I was surprised both by the number of Dortmund fans and the percentage of those fans who were wearing Pulisic jerseys.

Overall seems a good bet by Chelsea, even with a premium for the US player.

No doubt. And the immediate loan is genius.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-03 11:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nike (who already had both Chelsea and Pulisic) has several months to market this marriage before next EPL season even starts. It has started already. Surely Chelsea will take part in the International Cup with a few stops in the US where Pulisic will at least make token appearances on the pitch along with several pre/post game hype events. American sponsors will pay a premium for Chelsea events, deals, etc. They will make up the premium on the transfer fee before he ever suits up for them. That's almost certain.

And I'd have to guess that his contract will cost him less than other baggage on the books like Fabregas and Cahill.

Aging roster
by wcnitz  (2019-01-02 11:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guys like Pedro and Willian are going to be in decline. This is probably part of a larger rebuild.

Yep
by HTownND  (2019-01-02 11:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The forwards and wingers are due for a refresh, which hopefully includes guys like Hudson Odoi, etc.

I suspect Pedro will be leaving sooner rather than later, and I don't suspect that Willian will like Chelsea's one year policy for 30 year olds, and will move along shortly as well. His current deal runs out after next season, so he may be a candidate to be sold this summer.

Is Chelsea parting ways with players currently on the books?
by mitquinn  (2019-01-02 11:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how he will be a regular starter for the season with their current line up.

Sure, he'll feature in cup games etc.

Real Madrid's Eden Hazard! *
by ChicagoWave03  (2019-01-02 11:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep
by HTownND  (2019-01-02 11:55:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems more and more likely with each passing day.