Inquiry about Football League Cup. How prestigious is it?
by spade (2019-01-24 13:02:04)

I understand the FA Cup and the EPL title are the biggies in England, but where does that leave the Football League Cup?

I expect with a name like Carabao Cup that it can't be taken THAT seriously, but is winning it about as prestigious as coming in in position2,3 or 4 in EPL season? It's nice but nothing to put on your shelf?

Not very
by Montroy28  (2019-01-24 13:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as I can remember, the biggest clubs typically field teams of reserves mixed with youth in the early rounds. They may take it a bit more seriously as they advance depending on how congested their fixture list is, and their league standing.

It's an entry into the UEFA Cup or Euroleague or whatever the heck it's called these days, so there is an incentive for clubs that are mid- to lower-table.

edit: jeez, I basically repeated the first reply

It's a trophy when you have no other trophies
by wcnitz  (2019-01-24 13:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Otherwise, it's just an excuse to field a rotating or younger squad. It isn't a fully 'open' competition like the FA Cup. The FA Cup is about 90-100 years older and it comes with Europa qualification.

Supporters of the big six could not care less about it.

I dunno, Spurs fans care.
by Wooderson  (2019-01-30 17:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only silverware they've secured since the 50's.