I suppose it depends on if he wants to play.
by NDMike2001 (2019-01-31 12:05:46)

In reply to: He probably will leave for free  posted by HTownND

I know that all contracts and players are different, but it seems that agents have every incentive to encourage a transfer. They usually get paid as a percentage of the contract as well as the transfer fee. It's hard to believe that CHO would get any more meaningful playing time at Bayern than he would at Chelsea. And yet he seems convinced of that. Meanwhile, the club will leverage his current playing time as he tries to force a transfer.

He won't want to sit out next year. My guess is that Chelsea will get their asking price this summer or he'll sign an extension and go on loan.

I think he feels like he's been fed some BS
by wcnitz  (2019-01-31 12:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure I blame him. Sarri calls him the 'future of English football', yet he isn't getting PL time. Starts last week...against Sheffield Wednesday. Chelsea gets smoked yesterday and he's not even in the 18. Buying Pulisic didn't help.

I do think this comes down to Chelsea protecting their roster in case of a transfer ban. Has to be related to it.

He handed in a transfer request.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-31 12:28:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't see a lot of players in the lineup after that. Especially a young/fringe player.

The future doesn't mean the present. Teams fighting to secure champions league do not have the luxury to put a player onto the bench just to make a young player happy.

Tottenham essentially loaned Kane out until he was a starter. But if a player isn't going to commit to to the future of a club, then he shouldn't expect opportunities handed to him.

He did
by wcnitz  (2019-01-31 12:38:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then Chelsea said they weren't going to sell him, so the transfer request doesn't matter. After which, Sarri said he was going to be playing substantially more. Put yourself in the kid's shoes.

Of course it matters.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-31 12:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Almost every request is met with opposition and public statements of "not selling." Translation: they haven't met the asking price.

If he's good enough to walk into Bayern's match day squad today, then he's worth a hell of a lot more than 35M. And an English club has a premium on their homegrown players.

And the same 35M (if not more) will be there this summer.

Putting myself into the kids shoes...I essentially see that I have no leverage. I can sign a new contract and hope to play or get loaned out. Or I can hope that a team meets Chelsea's asking price.

I appreciate
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 12:53:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your take on things. I know I am biased.

Which brings me back to my original point...
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-31 13:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the agent is pushing CHO's move here. It's hard to believe that he's going to walk into Bayern's starting lineup. And Chelsea's lineup is aging like Bayern's. So an English kid wants to play in the Bundesliga more than EPL?

Don't get me wrong, Chelsea is a shit club with no fans (ha ha!), but I don't really see the motivation of a player pushing for a move to a similar situation on foreign soil. But for the agent's payday with a transfer fee.

I also think
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 13:29:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jadon Sancho's experience is playing a role. They have been teammates on the England youth squads forever.

But going to Dortmund and going to Bayern are two different things.

Also, I'd be curious if Bayern/Chelsea could work out a sign and loan deal with Bayern (with chances to buy later/sell-on type clauses). At this point I would think no, but if things hadn't become public, I wonder if that could have been something before it all became public.

Yeah, who knows re: that last point
by wcnitz  (2019-01-31 14:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe a James-style deal could have been done, maybe not.

We will find out
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 15:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it appears Chelsea are sticking to their guns on this one

As they should.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-31 16:09:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They essentially hold all of the cards.

A deal for James is one for a popular player that has performed on (arguably) the highest level. But he was also surplus to his club and on wages that needed to be moved along.

I can only assume that CHO is on wages that are relatively insignificant to a club like Chelsea. They have the player under contract for the peak period of his development.

Loan with the option to buy doesn't really make sense (unless the player extends his contract) because he is a free agent in 18 months. You can't really buy someone that's no longer for sale.

There's most certainly an asking price that Chelsea are willing to accept. Only they really know what that is. But having an asking price or letting him walk for free after sitting a year is a move you can make when you hold all the cards.

It's also cover
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 12:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For what Hazard is going to do.

If Hazard leaves for RM, CHO would feature prominently next year.

And the kid is 18 at this point, should he be starting every match in the PL? It's a fine line, but he wouldn't start every match at Bayern either at this point.

The key word Sarri used was "future", he's moving that direction. Not every kid is thrown to the wolves and starts every match to get their feet wet in the PL.