From your lips to Woodwards ears
by powerI (2019-04-11 13:04:38)

In reply to: I expect a house cleaning this summer  posted by wcnitz

I'm not holding my breath.

They've been pennywise and pound foolish for years now. Recall Sir Alex's infamous "There is no value in the market" comments from 2010. Or how the summer they sold Ronaldo for 80 million and replaced him with 16 million Valencia. Sir Alex's brilliance covered up a lot.

The current SOP seems to be ..."Why take a risk and spend 50 million on a player when we can renew the one we have"

As an example, there is no money for CB upgrades last summer, but instead they renew and extend Smalling to 2022 and Jones until 2023. The double whammy is the new wages basically make them impossible to sell. Same case with Rojo. He was renewed and extended in March of 2018 at wages that make him unsellable.

While I'm ranting, take Sanchez. The bankers were all over that because it was basically a free. His salary though has caused great problems. You can't sell him, and the rest of the team wants to be paid like him. Rashford is asking for $300K a week now for crying out loud.

Still ranting. Look at how they handled Ole's appointment. He's a legend no doubt, but I will not be convinced that his appointment was not impacted by how cheap he was to sign, and how little football legwork had to be done in the decision making process. He's 2OLEGEND and easy sell.

I'm in the camp that this summer will be like the last and ones before it. They'll sign more sponsors than players.