I don't think they'll be able to make up 2 points.
by NDBass (2019-04-14 19:44:20)

In reply to: If Man City wins out, it won't matter, but maybe this will  posted by G.K.Chesterton

Definitely not 1 point and goal differential. Perhaps that has allowed me to enjoy this more. Either way, finishing a close second to this Man City team is nothing to be ashamed of and if anybody tries to claim Liverpool bottled it, they're fucking idiots.

I'm an F'ing idiot.
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-14 20:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dropping 11 of 25 points to start 2019 let City control their destiny.

I don't know if bottling it is the right term. But champions find a way to get a result in one of those matches. Especially one of either Leceister or West Ham.

I get the overall sentiment, but
by Siegfried08  (2019-04-15 18:30:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think "bottling" would apply to a side that ends up on 97 points.

You might not want to read Klopp's post game comments. *
by NDBass  (2019-04-14 22:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read them. Before I posted.
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-15 07:01:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Klopp lies all of the time. He’s a master at trying to change the narrative and take pressure off of the players. He said that they don’t worry about City. Right. A few weeks ago he said that there was a miscommunication when Hendo was clearly pissed at him and didn’t shake his hand.

He’s simply trying to avoid the pressure mounting with stories about how they let it slip. That’s his job. But the fact is that they had a chance to put City away in January and didn’t take advantage. Everyone knows it. That doesn’t mean that they aren’t having an amazing season. It just means that they lost control of their fate.

Keita gave him a similar reception against Chelsea
by IrishCavan  (2019-04-15 10:58:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Klopp was yelling at Keita when he ignored him coming off the pitch.

This has been such a weird year. The last minute goals against Everton, Spurs and Southampton have been huge. But if that ball against City goes an inch or two further in the goal, LFC would have have a 5 point lead right now. Whatever happens, this is going to be a great race and will probably be decided on the final day.

I thought that at first too...
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-15 16:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was watching on my phone and couldn't "rewind" it at the time. I made it a point to watch on DVR when I got home because I couldn't imagine why Klopp was yelling at Keita.

On the replay you could see Klopp away from the sub line barking instructions during the substitution. Keita was on his way to the bench before Klopp seemed to notice that the sub took place. Then he looked up and yelled for Naby when he saw that he missed him. The camera just caught it at a strange moment, because it looked like Naby was walking away from him.

I was at Anfield yesterday
by Siegfried08  (2019-04-15 18:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Haven't rewatched on TV yet, but I think you're spot on. Naby took his time getting off the pitch and Klopp was busy barking out instruction at someone else in the midfield. Don't think either individual was mad at the other.

As an aside, holy cow is the Kop one hell of a place to watch a match. It was rocking yesterday and brought me back to my days in the student section after those two goals.

The awful offside call against Arsenal sticks in my brain.
by NDBass  (2019-04-15 12:27:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are always calls that go for a team and against a team during the course of a season. Most of them are at least debatable, though. I could probably list 2 or 3 in each category if I really went back through it.

That being said, the offside call that negated a goal at Arsenal was criminal. Those are 2 huge points at the moment.

Yes, but didn't Origi win one with his hand?
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-15 16:54:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't recall if that was a decisive goal or not. But it's harsh to look back at calls and think about their impact on a season.

But to start 2019 Liverpool were up seven and played City. A draw would have probably sealed the season. A win surely would have. But even up four they dropped points against Leceister and West Ham that probably cost them the title. There's no shame in drawing away at United and Everton.

I said it at the time and I still believe it now. United will determine the fate of this season's trophy. Advantage City.

If it makes you feel better, City has had some pretty
by tex29  (2019-04-15 15:07:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

terrible calls against it as well that have directly cost it points. The equalizing goal Maradonaed (knocked in by hand) in the Wolves game springs immediately to mind.

I honestly expect City to lose at least one.
by tex29  (2019-04-14 20:15:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool cleared its biggest hurdle getting past Chelsea, and anything could happen in the Manchester Derby. Plus City have lost games to some pretty poor teams this year. I would put the odds at 50-50 of Liverpool winning the title.

Only hope is increased games in chase of the quadruple
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-14 22:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will cause breakdown or injury to key players.

I don't think so. City must play Spurs at home and United
by tex29  (2019-04-15 09:38:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

away. City could easily lose either, if not both, of those fixtures. Liverpool has no fixtures remaining where it won’t be a heavy favorite. And both teams have shown an ability to drop points to mediocre sides.

It is true that City has played more games, because it has taken the domestic cups more seriously. But City also has more depth than Liverpool at key positions. So I’m not sure the fixture pileup will make the difference...especially since Liverpool is still playing in the only competition City will be playing in until after the league has been decided.

Kane's injury might make that game easier. *
by NDBass  (2019-04-15 12:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, but City just lost to Spurs after Kane went off.
by tex29  (2019-04-15 12:52:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Granted, it was clear from the beginning that City was playing for the 0-0, Aguero took a page out of Mahrez’s book and gave an awful effort on a crucial penalty, and Fabian Delph shouldn’t have been anywhere near City’s starting 11—much less at LB. Nevertheless, Spurs has enough quality, and a good enough manager, to beat any team on any given day.

I would be surprised if City make it through the next two games without dropping points. The key for me is whether City can limit the damage to a draw, because I can’t see Pool making up the goal differential.

P.S. – R.I.P. 96.

I hope they play for that draw and point differential!
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-15 17:33:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d like Liverpool’s chances there! 😂

I expect both teams to drop points.
by tex29  (2019-04-15 18:48:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A loss would leave City no margin for error. Of course, if Pool wins out, a draw would be fatal. Do you think Pool will win out?

I expect them to win the next three.
by NDMike2001  (2019-04-15 21:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ll face two relegated teams and a third that is in 15th and coached by Rafa Benitez. I don’t see any chance that he’d disrespect Liverpool by sitting back and playing for the draw. At home.

That leaves a final difficult match at home against the Wolves. If Liverpool are playing for the title, I simply cannot fathom the pandemonium that will be at Anfield.

Barring an injury to VVD or Alisson, or multiple injuries to the rest of the team, I don’t see them dropping points.