Interesting Argument: Who had better season City v Liverpool
by spade (2019-06-05 12:54:38)

Liverpool fell 1 point shy of the League title but came back from last year's defeat and won a Champions League Title. Also, the way they came back from 3 down to Barcelona in the semis, I'd probably give the nod to Liverpool.

The interesting thing is, I would bet the average City and Reds fan would gladly swap hardware this season. Liverpool seems obsessed with winning the League and while City won everything domestic, what Pep really wanted is the Champs League.

A further twist, who had a better season, Chelsea or Spurs? I think in this case, each fan from Chelsea and Spurs, would be happy with how their season progressed.
The pundits will say hardware is hardware but ask Liverpool would have been a stronger building block for their current season success, coming back from last year's CL final defeat or building on Europa if they had hypothetically won the Europa League last year?

City
by HTownND  (2019-06-05 13:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amassed 98 points (after 100 last year) and won the FA Cup and a third trophy.

I think they had a better “season”, although Liverpool’s didn’t suck.

That's probably the right answer. But...
by NDMike2001  (2019-06-06 09:11:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pick a season.

Season A: 98 league points, FA Cup and Carabou Cup

Season B: 97 league points, Champions League

I think OP was right. City fans and Liverpool fans would gladly switch places. But that's because neither team has won the other's current titles in 30+ years.

But internationally, players want to win the Champions League.

I’m not sure City fans would swap trophies. I wouldn’t.
by tex29  (2019-06-06 13:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s true that City covets the Champions League the most, because it is the only major trophy not sitting in its cabinet. And Pool would prefer to break the league drought. But no team has ever completed the domestic treble (or quadruple if you count the Community Shield). Plenty of teams have won the Champions League.

City will have many more opportunities to try to win the CL (assuming a corrupt UEFA, at the behest of its most influential members, doesn’t find a way to rig it against City). There may never be another team that accomplishes what City accomplished domestically this season.

EDIT: If you want to swap this year’s CL title for City’s 2013-14 title, I would be up for that.

Again
by HTownND  (2019-06-06 12:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Liverpool had an oustanding season.

But City, literally, just completed one of the greatest seasons in English football history.

No one has won the domestic treble in the modern English game.

Yes, I'm sure they'd like the Champions League trophy too (a competition that they also participated in and went 7-2-1 in and were knocked out in the quarters by away goals).

But their season was one of the greatest seasons in English football history. That isn't to slight what Liverpool accomplished, it's just the reality, we just witnessed, possibly, the greatest season in English soccer history.

They won 50+ games this season in the 4 main competitions. 50 games is unheard of.

I don't know why this is even an "argument".
by NDBass  (2019-06-06 12:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's definitely not an "interesting" argument as posited by the OP.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2019-06-06 13:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see why anyone would want to compare them. They were both wildly successful endeavors.

For all four competitions, does anyone know what was
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-06-05 13:24:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ManCity's cumulative record vs. Liverpool's record for the same?

Here you go.
by CuzTeahan  (2019-06-05 14:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

City- Played 61 games, 50 wins, 5 draws, 6 losses
Liverpool- Played 53 games, 38 wins, 8 draws, 7 losses

Source: Wikipedia, I believe includes Community Shield but treats two Cup shootouts as ties.

As City fan, not surprisingly, I believe City's accomplishments far exceeded those of Liverpool this year.

-City won League and all available domestic trophies.
-Second most EPL points ever.
-City won head to head with a win and a tie.
-Among domestic top 6, City 8-1-1 or 25 points, with Liverpool second at 5-4-1 with 19 points
-Liverpool lost 7 point league lead in January and February letting City take league lead
-City won league by winning 14 games in a row to close out season while competing in three other competitions
-Set European club records for most goals in a season (169) and wins in a season (50)

Liverpool went into the Champions League final with its entire season on the line. Their win was an exceptional triumph and credit to an excellent squad and manager for winning the tournament, but if you head into your last game of the season with the spector of a loss raising questions as to whether your season was a failure, you were not the best team over a season.

Finally, Pep and City management certainly really want a Champions League trophy and badly, but the great majority of fans value the EPL championship and domestic bragging rights more highly.

Doesn't the end of your penultimate paragraph apply to City
by dfw  (2019-06-05 15:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You said:

"if you head into your last game of the season with the spector of a loss raising questions as to whether your season was a failure, you were not the best team over a season."

If City lost their last game, then they would have lost both of their biggest competitions. I'd say that's a failure for City.

I suppose that's right in that moment
by CuzTeahan  (2019-06-05 15:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though City had the League Cup in the bag and the FA Cup still upcoming to partially salvage the season, you are right that a City slip then would have clearly shifted the magnitude of season achievement to Liverpool winning the two biggest trophies in club football.

The FA Cup?
by someguy  (2019-06-05 15:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or did you mean Gameweek 38 against Brighton (6 days before the FA final)?

I meant Brighton. Didn't think of FA cup final.
by dfw  (2019-06-05 15:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I guess it doesn't, but 2nd to last game is close.

And I don't disagree with the rest of the post.

I have the data below
by HTownND  (2019-06-05 14:23:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it’s safe to say City just completed one of the greatest seasons in the history of English football.

Liverpool had an amazing season and winning the UCL is a huge deal, but if you are looking at the entirety, it goes to City (and would compared to basically any other team in English football history)

I believe LFC lost 7 games this year and 4 of those were in
by IrishCavan  (2019-06-05 13:49:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Champions League (Napoli, PSG, Red Star, and Barcelona). Their other losses were to Man City in the EPL, Chelsea in the EFL, and Wolves in the FA Cup. The latter 2 they rested most of their top players. They had 8 draws, including a 0-0 with Bayern in the UCL.

Here you go
by HTownND  (2019-06-05 13:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depends on how you want to count the Community Shield (which they won with a victory over Chelsea)

City 18/19 across all competitions (FA Cup, League Cup, PL, UCL, Comm Shield)
52-6-3
51-6-3 if you take out the Community Shield

PL
32-4-2
FA
6-0
LC
6-0
UCL
7-2-1

Liverpool 18/19 across all competitions
38-7-8