That's probably the right answer. But...
by NDMike2001 (2019-06-06 09:11:08)

In reply to: City  posted by HTownND

Pick a season.

Season A: 98 league points, FA Cup and Carabou Cup

Season B: 97 league points, Champions League

I think OP was right. City fans and Liverpool fans would gladly switch places. But that's because neither team has won the other's current titles in 30+ years.

But internationally, players want to win the Champions League.

I’m not sure City fans would swap trophies. I wouldn’t.
by tex29  (2019-06-06 13:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s true that City covets the Champions League the most, because it is the only major trophy not sitting in its cabinet. And Pool would prefer to break the league drought. But no team has ever completed the domestic treble (or quadruple if you count the Community Shield). Plenty of teams have won the Champions League.

City will have many more opportunities to try to win the CL (assuming a corrupt UEFA, at the behest of its most influential members, doesn’t find a way to rig it against City). There may never be another team that accomplishes what City accomplished domestically this season.

EDIT: If you want to swap this year’s CL title for City’s 2013-14 title, I would be up for that.

Again
by HTownND  (2019-06-06 12:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Liverpool had an oustanding season.

But City, literally, just completed one of the greatest seasons in English football history.

No one has won the domestic treble in the modern English game.

Yes, I'm sure they'd like the Champions League trophy too (a competition that they also participated in and went 7-2-1 in and were knocked out in the quarters by away goals).

But their season was one of the greatest seasons in English football history. That isn't to slight what Liverpool accomplished, it's just the reality, we just witnessed, possibly, the greatest season in English soccer history.

They won 50+ games this season in the 4 main competitions. 50 games is unheard of.

I don't know why this is even an "argument".
by NDBass  (2019-06-06 12:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's definitely not an "interesting" argument as posited by the OP.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2019-06-06 13:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see why anyone would want to compare them. They were both wildly successful endeavors.