Cancel the US men’s team
by miamioh_irishfan (2019-06-09 14:48:00)
Edited on 2019-06-09 14:48:39

Give the 2026 WC to Canada.

3-0 to Venezuela 38’ into the match.

We get what we deserve...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-06-10 12:24:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope they continue to get crushed. And now that 2022 is back to 32 teams it’ll be even harder for this establishment to survive.

I want the Gold Cup to continue exposing this fraud.

I don't know what they're trying to achieve
by wcnitz  (2019-06-10 10:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are Jozy, Bradley and others going to be of use in the build up to and, potentially, in Qatar? No? Why are they there? The 'experience' nonsense just doesn't apply now, there are plenty of others with caps now.

I just don't understand what the goal is. Sink or swim with the younger generation coming up. This whole roster feels like playing it safe, and compound that with a system that really isn't fully tailored to the players available, and you have...meh. A lot of meh.

Agree and disagree
by Irish01  (2019-06-10 12:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to give the youngsters the opportunity, but lack of competition and gifting spots on the roster yield equally poor results long term. Give them every advantage without giving them a free pass.

Ideally the younger generation pushes the older aside. Otherwise you risk a culture that is not conductive to growth and mirrors what we’ve seen for the past 5-7 years.

Altidore and Bradley are likely to make the 2022 squad.
by baloo88  (2019-06-10 10:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One hopes that the likes of Sargent, McKennie, and Adams can squeeze them out of starting roles. In fact, McKennie and Adams should be automatic selections at the #8 and #6 already. Still, Altidore and Bradley still are among the top 10-15 players in the pool. In any case, I think it’s helpful to have guys with their experience around.

If they are on the 2022 squad
by wcnitz  (2019-06-11 08:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't be watching.

They're there because
by alleghenyirish  (2019-06-10 10:34:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our other choices are apparently Will Trapp and Gyasi Zardes who are worse.

Why are we so bad?
by tcfc  (2019-06-09 18:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

25 years after the World Cup, would anyone have imagined this is where we’d be?

A laughing stock.

Berhalter is the full on disaster he had the potential to be
by Irishlawyer  (2019-06-10 11:49:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An "inside guy" hire based on both real and figurative nepotism.

Talk about small-timey? Trap and Steffen get brought right in from Columbus. Any other Crew players he can jam on the roster?

He played his hybrid 4-3-3 versus the Venezuelan 4-5-1 and his system was completely exposed. They could not break through the 5 midfielders at all. Once that happened, he failed to make any adjustments.

He is limited as a tactician and, like some other small timey coaches, he wants to force his players into his system rather than play to their strengths. By the lack of passion and effort in this last game, all I can think is that the players know that this is the case as well.

Steffen is pretty clearly the best keeper in the pool.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-06-10 18:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So that part of the criticism is misplaced.

I don’t think it’s that clear.
by baloo88  (2019-06-10 19:55:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Horvath might have been first choice for the Gold Cup if not for his injury.

If you want a keeper who can play the ball out of the back
by Irishlawyer  (2019-06-10 19:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with his feet, he's not.

Listen, I like him, but to run Gregg's system (rather than letting Steffen do what he is good at), he's a problem. After this last game, I can't see any universe where Pep will allow Steffen to play for him, let alone to play the ball out of the back.

This isn't quite as low as the loss to T&T...
by baloo88  (2019-06-09 15:09:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we very clearly aren't making progress with Berhalter at the helm.

Pulisic and Adams could make a big difference, but still, I'll be surprised if we even make the final of the Gold Cup.