Berhalter is the full on disaster he had the potential to be
by Irishlawyer (2019-06-10 11:49:26)

In reply to: Why are we so bad?  posted by tcfc

An "inside guy" hire based on both real and figurative nepotism.

Talk about small-timey? Trap and Steffen get brought right in from Columbus. Any other Crew players he can jam on the roster?

He played his hybrid 4-3-3 versus the Venezuelan 4-5-1 and his system was completely exposed. They could not break through the 5 midfielders at all. Once that happened, he failed to make any adjustments.

He is limited as a tactician and, like some other small timey coaches, he wants to force his players into his system rather than play to their strengths. By the lack of passion and effort in this last game, all I can think is that the players know that this is the case as well.

Steffen is pretty clearly the best keeper in the pool.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-06-10 18:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So that part of the criticism is misplaced.

I don’t think it’s that clear.
by baloo88  (2019-06-10 19:55:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Horvath might have been first choice for the Gold Cup if not for his injury.

If you want a keeper who can play the ball out of the back
by Irishlawyer  (2019-06-10 19:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with his feet, he's not.

Listen, I like him, but to run Gregg's system (rather than letting Steffen do what he is good at), he's a problem. After this last game, I can't see any universe where Pep will allow Steffen to play for him, let alone to play the ball out of the back.