Lots of Penalties for defender clearances in this WC
by spade (2019-06-13 12:03:24)

Something that's been challenging is the number of penalties given in the WWC. I believe this is the first time that VAR (in it's current form) has been used in a World Cup and the number of penalties is rising, likely from what looks innocuous in real-time is judged reckless in slo-mo.

A couple calls have been for handballs which were warranted (the Van Wyk in the RSA game) but the second in that game was a crucial clearance of a ball that ended with a kick to a Spain player as the RSA player was falling to the ground. Also in the Norway vs France game another occured when a defender cleared the ball, but went over the top of it and cleated a French player in the box.

I disagree with the commentators, I DO see the Norway challenge as a penalty because she poorly cleared the ball and went over the top into the French leg, but the RSA-Spain as a good, clean clearance that the Spanish woman just walked right into; no penalty. Most tellingly, in neither instances, did a single Spanish or French teammate call for a penalty. I don't think the players want these as penalties.

Link is of clips of the Norway challenge at 1:08. In same video the RSA challenge at 4:25.

Better views from the RSA-Spain is at 1:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8BpELDLNrM&feature=onebox

Agree on both clearance penalties
by wcnitz  (2019-06-13 12:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Spanish player clearly walked into it.

I watched the France-Norway match live, and was baffled that anyone thought that wasn't a penalty. The defender wasn't falling down and had full control, yet followed through to the thigh on a 50-50. Textbook penalty for me, as it's clearly a reckless challenge - hence the caution from that wonderful referee, Bibiana Steinhaus.

This is the tough thing about soccer on the radio
by Allumeuse  (2019-06-13 12:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You wouldn't have known any of that from what was on the Fox stream. It was all they were talking about.

Soccer on the radio is a thing of beauty
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-06-13 14:57:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When it’s actually a radio broadcast during EPL season. Doc Emrick-esque.

The fact they put the TV feed on radio is silly. You get minutes at a time of silence as JP tries to be so euro by saying nothing at all.

I agree
by Allumeuse  (2019-06-13 15:23:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During the men's, you could stream the BBC Radio and Telemundo coverage of the tournament, which was amazing.

Obviously, those of us with working hours during the matches have to listen or take time off, so the bad port of the TV coverage is frustrating.

Fox needs to really improve this overall.

The Fox radio broadcast is the TV announcer stream, not a
by Domerduck  (2019-06-13 12:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

separate radio team. I have been listening to them on Sirius when I can't watch. They are often commenting on replays.

FOX only employs morons
by wcnitz  (2019-06-13 12:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their 'official match experts' are the biggest ones.

I turned off the TV after the France-Norway match ended and they went back to the desk and their pundits were all baffled as to why that was a penalty. I couldn't even witness the stupidity.

The FOX announcers rarely describe anything helpful
by spade  (2019-06-13 16:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An example was on a potential China handball (it wasn't anywhere close to a handball) the announcer just stated 4 times, "oh, that's close" "oh, that's close". Then describe why it was close, and that while it was her lower shoulder, her entire arm was tucked behind her back and to her side. They just parrot the next matchup and when the US is going to play again.

But FOX doesn't have a deep list of soccer announcers, unlike NBC who has dozens upon dozens. It reminds me of the ESPN Championship week when they pull people from the stands to announce the non-riveting Horizon League semi-final matchup. I wish NBC had gotten the World Cup broadcast rights, that would have been great soccer atmosphere on TV

NBC’s coverage of the PL is stellar
by wcnitz  (2019-06-13 17:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I truly wish they had the Champions League and the WC.