Pulisic show delayed...
by iudomer (2019-08-11 12:10:18)

Riding the pine at Old Trafford today. This Mount kid playing instead sucks.

Yeah
by HTownND  (2019-08-12 10:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect he'll start in short order, but like a lot of folks from N and S America, he got to camp late, so they aren't going to force it.

It was clear when he did play in the pre season, he's one of the best players on the team, but his preparations were shorter than most everyone else.

Rudiger cannot get back soon enough. Zouma and Christensen are fine when paired with him, but the two of them together is not ideal.

Despite the final score, I actually enjoyed just watching the match. Chelsea didn't suck.

I thought Christensen did fine at the back
by wcnitz  (2019-08-12 10:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zouma looked lost. His fundamentals on the penalty he gave up were...awful.

Yep
by HTownND  (2019-08-12 11:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that's not a knock on Christensen, but I think Zouma needs a Rudiger/Cahill type to help shepherd him along. Christensen was fine, but he's not at a place where he can cover his responsibilities and make sure Zouma is as well.

Zouma is definitely still a work in progress at this point.

Third United goal was his fault *
by tcfc  (2019-08-11 15:28:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the backline fault for letting Rashford in
by Spade  (2019-08-11 18:52:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless Pulisic was subbed into the backline, nothing he did or who he gave it away to was at fault for Rashfords run. The ball bounced around between ManU players long enough for the Chelsea backline to figure out that Rashford was making a run.

Something I noticed
by wcnitz  (2019-08-12 09:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chelsea's front line were too separated from the block at the back. Not sure if it was a tactical decision by Lampard or just a failure by the players. But it was a real problem for them. Anyone who knows anything about Martial and Rashford should know that they're more dangerous on a counter than they are in a final third offense and that gap was just too big. Pogba just needed to show up with a pass and they'd get through. He was kinda shit otherwise.

All that said, it was a real shitshow from Azpilicueta and Zouma. I realize they had to sell Luiz, but the timing was just unfortunate with Rudi still hurt.

Pulisic tracked back more than most and actually completed all of his passes. I'd be real surprised if he didn't start in the Supercup. I think Lampard using him as a sub against United made a lot of sense - first PL match, at Old Trafford. Better to ease in.

I don't mind selling Luiz
by HTownND  (2019-08-12 10:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I really wish we had Gary Cahill back there.

While he's not what he once was, he could shepherd the young guys a little bit until Rudiger came back.

Luiz, once he wasn't promised first team football by Fat Frank was heading for the door. I'll miss a lot about him, especially his PKs. Some of the head scratching Free Kicks, not so much. But he didn't want to be here in that sort of role, so best for everyone to move on. Glad he found a home at Arsenal. It's very reminiscent of the Cech move.

On ca. the 60th minute. *
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-08-11 12:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post