Oh I know you are right
by Irishlawyer (2019-08-13 19:01:57)
Edited on 2019-08-13 19:06:00

In reply to: Easier back then because the gap was smaller  posted by wcnitz

about all of those points. MLS almost HAD to exist the way it has existed. If I had a main criticism, it would be the rapid expansion. It creates a watered down league with fewer stars.

Honestly, they need a smart growth pattern that will grow along with the American public. And the American public IS growing in soccer knowledge and popularity. When I look around now at kids who wear obscure german team jerseys to school (as opposed to kids who had a Messi jersey), I know that the knowledge of the game and the players is increasing in this country.

The next step for MLS is to embrace the "almost retirement league concept" and force it on every single team using a 1980s NBA model. Every team needs a face. Jordan in Chicago, Reggie Miller in Indiana, Sir Charles in Philly, Bird in Boston, Hakeem in Houston, and Magic in LA. They could do this with aging stars.

If every team had a single known international "face" and a known USMNT "face", they could then hype matches based on a club's personality. That will bring eyes to TV and butts to seats. The trouble is that there are so many teams with rosters filled with players that no one knows except for the most die hard CONCACAF fan ("oh, that guy is on the Honduran team or that guy is a Tico").

MLS wants to jam USMNT players down our throats. I'm okay with that if they also feed us a steady diet of known Europeans. And, of course, they can't have TOTAL GARBAGE surrounding them (see also: Chicago Fire). I think that's the next stage. To get even there requires owners who are willing to put some money into the clubs.

Because face it, the Red Bulls or the New England Revs may be a playoff team, but I don't really care to watch any of their players and would not stop to put a Red Bulls or Revs game on ESPN if I was clicking through. I will stop to watch Rooney and Ibra.

Replies: