ICC crowds 34% lower than last year.
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-08-13 22:25:13)
Edited on 2019-08-13 22:25:59

ICC attendance in 2016 was 57,072. In 2017, it fell to approximately 56,000, which was still impressive. But in 2018 it saw a sharper drop to 45,746. And this year, it dropped significantly to 29,883. Quite simply, fans are tired of seeing the same four or five teams every single year. It’s also not good that the teams that fans haven’t seen before are teams that don’t really move the needle, mainly teams from Serie A in Italy or Ligue 1 in France.

Here were the top ten of all the friendlies in the US:

1. 60,143 – Bayern Munich 3-1 Real Madrid – NRG Stadium – ICC
2. 60,043 – Barcelona 4-0 Napoli – Michigan Stadium – Friendly
3. 57,714 – Atletico Madrid 7-3 Real Madrid – MetLife Stadium – ICC
4. 57,062 – Barcelona 2-1 Napoli – Hard Rock Stadium – Friendly
5. 52,826 – Real Madrid 2-2 Arsenal (3-2 pens) – FedEx Field – ICC
6. 40,361 – Borussia Dortmund 3-2 – Liverpool – Notre Dame Stadium – Friendly
7. 37,722 – Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Seattle Sounders – CenturyLink Field – Friendly
8. 35,564 – Sevilla 2-1 Liverpool – Fenway Park – Friendly
9. 34,902 – Arsenal 3-0 Fiorentina – Bank of America Stadium – Friendly
10. 31,112 – Liverpool 2-2 Sporting Lisbon – Yankee Stadium – Friendly

One of my former students is playing in the new Women's ICC.
by ewillND  (2019-08-16 00:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olympic Lyonnais picked her up in July--she's a goalkeeper. Nice kid, phenomenal soccer player.

I actually think that is a positive development, as ...
by Rocksteady74  (2019-08-13 22:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... it suggests that the American consumer, benefitting from an improved domestic league and access to cable broadcasts of top European leagues, declines to watch meaningless games mostly rostered with substitutes. I have been avoiding going to those games for over a decade for just that reason. I did attend Sounders/Dortmund this year because I had a free ticket into one of the luxury boxes.

I agree. I don’t see the appeal at all. *
by 3rdSt  (2019-08-14 12:42:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been to two of them
by wcnitz  (2019-08-14 08:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One at Soldier Field (Bayern/AC Milan) and the recent one at ND.

For the most part, both matches featured star players - I don't have an issue with the South Americans and Africans being left out of the Liverpool squad, as it was a perfectly valid reason.

They are definitely overpriced and it doesn't look like anything more than a cash grab.

I agree it's mostly due to who plays/does not, and also...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-08-14 08:32:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where they play. I may be wrong, but it appears they, more often than not, go to the same cities/stadiums.

Why don't they come to Atlanta? I couldn't care less about MLS, but ATL is rabid mad about ATL United, and Mercedes Benz Stadium is probably one of the best stadiums (better than NRG), synthetic pitch aside.

I'd pay top dollars just to see Manchester United no matter who they trot out there (heck, I flew to Houston two years ago just to see them), but I wouldn't continue doing so unless they play their stars or new transfers.

I agree. The tickets are stupidly expensive too
by JackDB  (2019-08-13 23:24:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the atmosphere is not good at all. I'd rather save the ticket money for a flight to Europe