Folks in England live in their own echo chamber...
by NDMike2001 (2019-08-16 11:56:12)

In reply to: Agreed  posted by HTownND

That domestic cup mentality is the same myopic view that makes them think that they can shut down their transfer window early and the rest of the world will follow suit. They are like the Big Ten of world soccer.

They are powerful now, but they'd better learn to adapt because the best players of the world will happily go to teams where every single game isn't the most important game of the year.

I’m not so sure that is the case
by HTownND  (2019-08-18 11:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no problem with Hazard going from Chelsea to Madrid’s. It’s Real Madrid after all.

I think what the EPL has that the others don’t is top to bottom competition.

In the past 7 years, 4 different teams have won the PL.

If Liverpool break through that would make 5.

Since 2004, other than one year for Atleti, it’s been all Barca and Madrid.

Seize A has been all Juve and Inter with one year for Milan sprinkled in.

Germany, while dominated by Bayern lately has had some folks sneak in like Wolfsburg, etc.

They are all different leagues with different styles and competition. I don’t think the English think they are better, but they do appreciate the differences between the leagues and the top to bottom competitive nature of the EPL.

Top players will always play in all of those leagues. I like the change in the window. Don’t transfer players during the opening weeks of the season. If other adopt it, great. If not, I don’t think the EPL will miss out on top players because of it.