Bayern and Bundesliga fans
by HTownND (2019-09-26 10:12:25)

I saw an article on ESPN regarding the German netminder debate.

Is it common for people to do what Uli is doing, threatening his FA if they don't make sure his player is the first team keeper?

I'm not a manager, but I'd still go with Neuer at this point, but ter Stegen is world class, and will replace Neuer at some point. But I've never seen a club coach threaten to not let players play for the national team like that.

How closely linked are the national teams and Bundesliga teams? My only comparison is England. I could totally see someone doing this within MLS and the US team setup.

Spain had some interesting situations lately
by irish2003  (2019-09-27 21:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't remember anything exactly like this, but Lopetegui was fired from a Spanish team that was crushing people (I think they were pegged in the tier just behind France and Germany) 2 days before the WC for agreeing to take the Real Madrid job after the tournament. Guys like Ramos/Busquets/Pique were certainly a bit fiery for their club teams and no love lost between Barca and Real, but IMO it also helped having a longtime captain like Casillas and a quiet gentleman like Iniesta to help smooth over any club tensions, and also a lot easier to play nicely when the team was dominating. In recent years, I am curious to see how Atletico's emergence - off hand, Koke, Saul, Rodri pre-transfer, Morata - will play out, as well as a pretty decent EPL contingent.

As for the EPL, I had assumed that the sheer amount of foreign stars and managers (Pep/City, Klopp/Liverpool, Ole/United, Emery/Arsenal, Poch/Spurs), with only Lampard as a domestic manager of a power team would help mitigate this vs. something like Munchen and the DFB, but completely agree on the MLS, especially since we don't seem to have a powerful coach either.

Edit: In France, PSG seems a class above where they could bully the national team like Bayern, but their star is also an easy pick for Les Bleus, and they have a decent contingent abroad. Most of Brasil and Argentina's stars are abroad; ditto Croatia & Portugal; Belgium seems like a pretty chill country that plays nice despite the language divisions (have heard great things about Kompany's leadership); and Italy may be the one other I can think of where a power team could bully its way, especially with some of the turmoil like Calciopoli.

Strange, but I think it's different for a keeper
by spade  (2019-09-27 10:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think any other outfield player the clubs DONT want to release players for the national team. I suppose for a keeper the risk of injury is much lower than compared to a potential hamstring issue on Reus or Gnabry. But to mandate that Neuer is the starting keeper or else no other players?
That's still very strange.

if they withold players from international compteition
by boethius  (2019-10-09 08:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clubs can be fined and even removed from european club compteitions. Essentially clubs cannot withold players.

Not been the case with Bayern's leadership
by wcnitz  (2019-09-27 10:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have very much been in favor of having more national team players in their side. Either KHR or Uli (can't remember which) have said they want "FC Germany" and it's also why they wanted Lucas and Pavard - both mainstays in the French side and WC winners.

Uli being Uli...
by iudomer  (2019-09-26 10:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the club goes out of its way to protect their players, and essentially half the starters are Bayern players. They have a big stick and waive it at the National team occasionally.

But this is loudmouth Uli going beyond what is necessary. Both MAtS and Neuer put this behind them. Understandably MAtS is getting impatient playing behind Neuer and Loew probably should have split the last UEFA qualifiers between the two.

Uli just running his mouth as usual.

This is Uli being Uli, and why he is stepping away
by wcnitz  (2019-09-26 10:21:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He can't keep his internal monologue...internal. He and Bayern have little teeth in this, and it's a bad way of standing up for their guy. They aren't going to be able to stop Kimmich, Gnabry, Goretzka and Sule from playing in matches that matter for Germany.

That said, Neuer has been great this season and has not shown a reason why he should lose his starting spot and captaincy. He needed most of last year just to play like himself again.

Why was he named captain? Ask Jogi. I'd guess it's because he knew he was going to be putting Mats, Boateng and Thomas out to pasture. That moved caused a big rift with Bayern, I believe, and this is just continuation of that. Giving Neuer the band was just a weak offering from Jogi because he knew what was coming.

Bayern always wants to be FC Germany (and, secondarily, FC France) and they're going to be pissed every time one of their guys is frozen out. Uli just can't keep it to himself.

Still can't shut up...
by iudomer  (2019-09-26 16:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shut your pie hole Uli:
Bayern & Germany
@iMiaSanMia
Uli Hoeneß on Leroy Sané: "We have to wait and see how his recovery is shaping up, and in January or February, the new decision makers will sit down and contemplate" [Planet Futbol/Sports Illustrated]

His parting gift to Bayern
by wcnitz  (2019-09-26 20:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will really be FC Germany if he can snag Kai and Leroy. But damnit, stop talking about it.