I think there's an additional reason (more on Gregg's calls)
by Irishlawyer (2019-10-04 15:37:34)

In reply to: He could be right, but instead we try to copy Europe  posted by spade

During internationl breaks, the Europeans will be competing in the Euro league, so we would not be able to find opponents. That's probably not 100% of the reason, but I'm guessing it plays a factor in it. in any event, this is just one more reason why we need our players in Europe rather than MLS.

That leads to a major problem with the Gregg Berhalter era that I have been harping on for months and that I am believing is going to be a long term problem - his absolute schilling for MLS.

Zardes, Trapp, Long, Zimmerman, Lovitz, Roldan... all MLS

Here are a few names: Duane Holmes, Carter Cameron Vickers, Antonee Robinson, Julian Green, Ventura Alvarado, Joel Sonora, Emmanuel Sabbi. These are all guys who are playing outside of MLS and who are in form. None of them got a call.

The lack of a call for Duane Holmes was addressed during the Berhalter conference call. He suggested that he has communication with Holmes but, for now, he's interested in keeping "this group" together. He addressed the concept of "group" a number of times during the call. THIS IS DISTURBING.

Remember the days when Jurgen would call Beckerman, Zusi, Wondo... no other players need apply. I think Gregg is falling into the same "Trapp".

You call Will Trapp instead of Duane Holmes? You continue to call Zardes? In a million years, I wouldn't call Zardes. I'd take a zero experience Sabbi over Zardes.

Zimmerman and Long seem to be "out of form" right now. Why not call Alvarado?

Cuba and Canada are real games but they are not difficult games. Get some of these guys in the squad. The only reason not to do so is because Gregg has picked his squad and in the grand ND tradition, we need to "get used to it".

Replies: