Tonight's "clash" with Canada
by Irishlawyer (2019-10-15 11:17:54)

This game presents some interesting story lines. First and foremost, Michael Bradley will be playing on his home turf. Yay! Second, and maybe more importantly, this game will be a tougher test than many USMNT fans might expect. Canada is very strong up top. Finally, you boys might want to look up the Wikipedia page for Jonathan David. You all might remember December 2, 2018. You might also remember the FOURTEEN MONTHS prior to that going back to October 13, 2017 when Bruce Arena was fired. Keep those dates in mind. On August 30, 2018, a young man named Jonathan David became cap-tied to Canada. In his 10 matches for Canada since then, he has 11 goals. Guess where this young man was born... New York City, USA. His family moved to Canada when he was 3 years old. I can't say that he would have wanted to play for the USA, but shouldn't he have been on the radar? Beginning in early 2018, he was playing in Europe (I know, a strike against him when you talk about playing for the USMNT) and had been identified in Canada as early as their U15 national team. While we were fiddling around, the clear replacement for Gyasi Zardes was right under our nose, or right across our border. Again, who knows if he would have wanted the USA, but the possibility of playing in a world cup for the USA should outpace the likelihood of never playing in a world cup for Canada.

Other Things to watch for:

Can Michael Bradley handle Toronto FC teammate Jonathan Osorio?

Will Canada press hard (a la Mexico) to force the US to do things they don't like to do (like building from the back under pressure)?

Who will be the right back? Will Yedlin get time coming off of injury or does the job belong to Cannon or Lima (shouldn't Gregg have this worked out by now?)?

Why does Gregg not try Lima on the left? He can play there.

Will McKenney play inside or will it be Pulisic?

This game will be a real test coming off of an easy Cuba game and going into an "enemy" stadium with a team that is better than people think. If we struggle, it will be a show that Berhalter did not have them fully prepared and is behind in developing this team. If they draw or lose, it will show that Berhalter is not the right guy for the job.

Here's your starting line-up.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-15 18:22:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Canada vs. USA
2019-20 Concacaf Nations League A, Group A - Match No. 2
Oct. 15, 2019
BMO Field; Toronto, Canada
Live Broadcast: 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMás, TUDN

Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Canada: 1-Zack Steffen, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 4-Michael Bradley, 5-Daniel Lovitz, 8-Weston McKennie, 10-Christian Pulisic, 11-Jordan Morris, 13-Tim Ream (capt.), 15-Cristian Roldan, 19-Josh Sargent, 23-Aaron Long

Substitutes: 12-Sean Johnson, 22-Brad Guzan, 3-Matt Miazga, 6-Wil Trapp, 7-Paul Arriola, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 14-Jackson Yueill, 16-Nick Lima, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 18-Corey Baird, 21-Tyler Boyd, 20-Reggie Cannon

Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Michael Bradley (151), DeAndre Yedlin (60), Tim Ream (38), Jordan Morris (37), Christian Pulisic (34), Cristian Roldan (18), Weston McKennie (17), Zack Steffen (17), Aaron Long (14), Daniel Lovitz (12), Josh Sargent (11)

Tonight’s Starting XI has an average age of 25 years, 219 days and 37 caps.

USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter makes four changes to the starting XI that faced Cuba, inserting Zack Steffen in goal, Aaron Long and DeAndre Yedlin on the back line and Michael Bradley in central midfield.

Hope Alphonso Davies plays more forward...
by iudomer  (2019-10-15 14:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than wingback/LB.

Got your wish
by wcnitz  (2019-10-15 20:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Floating like Messi at Barcelona. All over centrally.

Agree on all counts
by wcnitz  (2019-10-15 12:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Pulisic has to stay wide (though he will drift in no matter, that's fine) and McKennie will stay central. Who is the other midfielder, though?

Also, is Sargent going to be benched because he played 90? I sure hope not.

It will definitely be an interesting match.

Some of the podcasts I listen to suggest that
by Irishlawyer  (2019-10-15 12:30:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lletget or Roldon will be the other midfielder with Morris on the right.

Sargent apparently still has a knock picked up in the Cuba game. If Sargent starts, I think it will be evidence that he is the clear #2. I'm betting that Gregg will start Zardes.

I keep hearing that Gregg is "gentle" with "his group" and that if you get a call, you'll probably at least dress. I heard that in relation to Wil Trapp who did not dress for Cuba. I fear that Zardes will get to play because of that concept. I also think that's why we will at least see Yedlin.

I didn't like Gregg from the first because of my tin-foil hat hatred of the USSF, MLS, SUM, Don Garber, Jay Berholter, etc. but the more I see of Gregg, the more I specifically do not like him or his management of this team.