Look at the bright side
by Irishlawyer (2019-10-16 10:40:00)

if we hold on to the second spot in the group, we can still qualify for the Gold Cup!!

Instead of pressing high as I thought they might, Canada played a 4-2-2-2. This is a tricky formation to play because it leaves the wings exposed as they pack in the middle. If, for instance, the USA had a great diagonal passer like Michael Bradley and a dynamic wunderkind on the outside like Christian Pulisic, it would be a formation that could be exploited. Turns out, it was a wonderful tactical decision. Lackadaisical was the word of the day for the USA squad. The USA back line could not swing the ball fast enough. Once they switched, the Canadians were ready for a diagonal ball. More on this later int he post.

Subbing off Pulisic at 60 minutes? Roldon was the correct sub at that point.

Pulisic needs to put on his big boy pants and learn how to lead. He made a leader mistake when he gave Sargent that PK against Mexico. I get that he wanted to insert Sargent and build some confidence. Not against Mexico. Lead your damn team. Last night, he wanted to do it all by himself and failed miserably. He needs to figure it out. Somehow, the Chelsea bench and crap form for the USMNT and then getting pulled could create a major dowhill trend for this guy. He needs to wake up and take control.

Is it FINALLY clear that Lovitz should never play for the USMNT? If it is not clear to Gregg, then he is (1) an idiot or (2) the shill for MLS that I accuse him of being. I say it is (1) and (2).

Michael Bradley. He was crucial in both goals. On the first one, his lackadaisical play leads to a turnover when a Canadian steps to him. On the second, he sends a "Bradley Special" diagonal that is under hit, picked off, sent to Canada's keeper and off they go. It is easy to say "Bradley sucks". It is just as easy to show why.

Suffice it to say that Gregg was de-pantsed again by an opposing coach. This time, with a squad that is not as strong as Mexico's (and which is viewed as a bottom tier CONCACAF side). The real crime here is that Gregg had NO COUNTER TACTICS to deal with it. When the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work, what does Gregg do? Well, nothing. He just keeps believing in his system. System coaches suck.

Replies: