For anyone who watched Cuba-USA the other night
by wcnitz (2019-11-21 08:00:22)

My backyard would have served as a much better pitch. Pretty much the standard for CONCACAF island nations, though. It was good to see them go in, get it done effciently and the right way, and get out.

Wasn't really any real effort in consistently playing out from the back. Lots of wide balls into space for guys like Morris and Sargent to pick up. You could almost say Greggggg made a tactical decision that considered the pitch, opponent and players he had on the field.

I hope the next match against Honduras is an away one, because that's a much better test of where they are at. Hopefully, guys like Adams and Weah are available then.

I think you are right
by Irishlawyer  (2019-11-21 11:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They went out and "did a job" in rough conditions. I also agree that Honduras will be a better measuring stick of this team. Pressure should not come off just because we advanced.

Sadly, we did see the Gregggg 4-4-2 shape on defense. First, the tactic for two at the top to "shield" passing lanes is perhaps the stupidest tactical concept I have ever seen in all of soccer. Ummm... let your guys up top get in between a line usually consisting of 4 (the backfield) and 3 or 4 or 5 (the midfield) when the 2 players up top don't have eyes in the back of their head. Second, it is an indicator that Gregggg-ball is not dead. He's sure to trot it back out at the January camp (which is usually an MLS player camp).

We also got a healthy dose of Lovitz and Roldan. Get used to it. I don't know what those guys have on him, but they have something.

That pitch was total trash, but I'm guessing that many of the USSF powers that be enjoyed a lovely week in the Caymen Islands, so there's that.

Jackson Yueill is the answer to the question "who would you rather have in place of Bradley who can play the 6?". I'm starting to feel like Tyler Adams will never be back. Even if that is the case, Bradley should not make this squad anymore. I'd rather call Yueill and Trapp than Bradley and Yueill.

I'm really loving McKennie.

Looking forward to the Olympic qualifying. That's where we as US Soccer fans will have some fun.

Hasn't Roldan failed to produce a single goal involvement?
by wcnitz  (2019-11-21 11:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that was mentioned during the broadcast. Astounding. He and Trapp have no business in this side. And I fully agree on Yueill - he still needs to grow, but I'm fine with he or Adams back there long-term. Sands could be involved down the road, too - I assume he's still playing DM for NYCFC.

And Lovitz is just plain bad. Baaaaaaad. Dest didn't play because of the conditions, apparently, which is fine against Cuba. But he's going to have to play during the CONCACAF away matches, especially qualifiers, which will often be in conditions like this.

Good observations on the defensive shape - I didn't notice as much because I wasn't watching the second half as closely as the first. Long had a tent pitched in the center circle in the first half, defensive shape was hardly seen.

It wasn't on Cuba, maybe because of no lights in Cuba?
by spade  (2019-11-21 10:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would assume somewhere on the Cuban island they have an appropriate pitch (I know they do for baseball games) but I bet the lighting wasn't up to par for CONCACAF matches.

Correct, stadium issues
by wcnitz  (2019-11-21 10:58:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought I read that Cuba is building an appropriate stadium, but it isn't ready. That's why it was in the Caymans. High schools use that pitch, apparently. Yikes.

Agreed.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-11-21 10:52:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You raise an interesting point. How will our dogshit program play in Honduras? It certainly seems like we could see the entire spectrum of results, possibly even a fatality or two.

Don't even need to look it up
by wcnitz  (2019-11-21 10:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To know we didn't win in Honduras during WC qualifying. I think we got a point, but I specifically remember Pulisic getting the shit kicked out of him and his teammates did absolutely nothing about it. Everything else aside, the one thing I know about the current make-up of this team is that it won't happen again without a fight. Bradley was mostly gutless during qualifiers in this respect, and he was supposed to be the leader of the side.

McKennie will shank somebody if necessary.