Jay Berhalter has resigned
by wcnitz (2020-02-06 20:29:47)
Edited on 2020-02-06 20:36:42

This was most unexpected. And welcomed.

Toxic work environment, nepotism, cronyism. Good riddance. Now keep going, US Soccer.

I heard an interview in early January
by Irishlawyer  (2020-02-07 12:46:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Stu Holden and Stu intimated at that time that signs pointed to the fact that Jay was going to be passed over. I think he said that the perception of nepotism along with the lack of success from Gregg had put some spots on Jay's resume for the job and it looked increasingly like they were going to look outside the organization. I'm glad the first part was true and I hope the second part is also true.

In that same interview, he talked about the fact that despite what Earnie and Gregg say, they are VERY sensitive to the things said about them on social media and that they have a bunker mentality when it comes to any criticism. That's no surprise. To me, when a reporter asks Gregg about Duane Holmes, rather than thinking "hey, maybe Duane Holmes should be considered, Gregg almost acts like he's being cornered by "those damn kids on the internet" and responds like a big baby, holding his comments close to the chest.

I can now change my hashtag from #BerholtersOut to #BerholterOut so that's a plus.

Those Glassdoor reviews didn't help either
by alleghenyirish  (2020-02-10 10:11:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on what I've heard, most of the the U.S. Soccer Operations staff will be happy to see the back of him.

Good for USSoccer but as an alum I hope he lands on his feet *
by SavageDragon  (2020-02-07 00:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"...stepped down..."
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-02-06 21:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How gracious of him.

Related question: Is this related to Brian McBride's arrival?

Sounds like it's partly that
by wcnitz  (2020-02-06 21:31:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And US Soccer finally realizing that him being collectively hated within the organization probably isn't conducive to making him CEO.

I don't think this is a sign that Gregg is in trouble, but it's certainly an indication he's not as safe as previously thought.