Round of 16...
by iudomer (2020-02-18 14:18:27)

this should be fun today...

Pool 2 Atleti 0
Dortmund 3 PSG 3

Would love to see Bayern annihilate Chelsea
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-02-20 10:01:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and launch all of the EPL scum out of the tournament.

Unfortunately, I think Madrid is going to have trouble with City.

Fun knockout round so far.

Madrid-City is going to be very tight
by wcnitz  (2020-02-20 12:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm looking forward to watching it.

Just don't think Chelsea has enough up front to keep up with Bayern. Don't see an Arsenal result, but it's not going to be super close. Like 5-2 or 4-1 agg.

Depends which Madrid shows up and who starts
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-02-20 14:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at LB. I love Marcelo...a Madrid legend through and through who has earned the respect he is given by the club and Zidane but Madrid is a better defensive team without him in the lineup. He just can't track back anymore and Mendy gives enough on offense to warrant the spot. The battle in the midfield between Kevin Deb & Casemiro/Valverde will be super fun to watch.

If Chelsea does not get healthy I just can't see them challenging but Bayern worries me in the middle of the defense. Would love to see Thiago continue with his recent form so that he locks his status on the Spanish national team.

If the defense is Hernandez and Alaba
by wcnitz  (2020-02-20 15:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Kimmich at DM, I have no worries.

Willian is welcome to challenge Alphonso Davies.

And you’re spot on about Marcelo. He done.

Holy shit Haaland...
by iudomer  (2020-02-18 16:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what a rocket

KeenanRevue - can you please get this kid to the Bernabeu?!? *
by irish2003  (2020-02-20 06:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hahaha...I do not see it
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-02-20 09:51:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That kid is going to go for 100M+ now. That second goal was an absolute screamer. By the time Keylor moved the ball was making a dent in the back of the net. What a rocket! I am surprised it did not go through the net.

Yep; I love our young guys, but man Haaland would be great
by irish2003  (2020-02-21 12:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate hyperbole too, but he really seems like the missing piece as a pure striker to round out our young talent, and perhaps more reasonable than Mbappe (national team hero starring in his hometown and with an owner who makes us look poor, although the Zizou angle could help) and more pragmatic than Pogba (we missed Kante, but Fede the Engine has been outstanding). Odegaard & Hakimi both look like the increased playing time has paid off elsewhere and are ready to be brought home, and if we can keep this ridiculous Brasilian pipepline going, I think I like this blend of proven + young far better than the Galacticos. Wasn't sure if you followed them, but Managing Madrid has had some great articles lately both about how Zidane calmly restored order after last year's mess and how we can gracefully transition from the eventual aging of club legends like Ramos and Modric

Sorry I missed this.
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-02-25 08:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with everything you say. We are goal starved and a guy like Haaland sure would be nice. I have read Managing Madrid for a few years. They always have good stuff; especially the tactical breakdowns after games.

Limping into City...not a good sign.

He doesn't look too Norwegian. *
by PWK2  (2020-02-19 13:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ok, educate me, who is this kid
by DakotaDomer  (2020-02-18 21:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve seen some of the recent goals...holt shit is right

How close was ManU to getting him? How much is it going to cost one of the bigger clubs to sign him?

Played for Jessie Marsh at Salzburg...
by iudomer  (2020-02-18 23:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scored 8 goals in CL group stage.

As wcintz said, he has a 60m release clause effective summer 2021. Read ManU didnt want to agree to that, along with Raiola as his agent left bad taste to United.

Sounds like he felt he wasn’t ready for United
by wcnitz  (2020-02-18 22:01:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or maybe he felt like United wasn’t ready for him - Dortmund is all but guaranteed CL play next season. United, not so much.

But he does have a release clause, apparently.

I haven't seen this speculated anywhere
by montroy28  (2020-02-19 11:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but maybe I'm not digging enough. His old man and Roy Keane didn't have a very good relationship. I do wonder if that had an impact on turning United down.

I also tend to think Ed Woodward fucked it up as well because that's just what Ed does.

Pretty sure his dad doesn't care about the Keane stuff
by wcnitz  (2020-02-19 11:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Roy holds all the grudges.

Wouldn't surprise me if Woodward did fuck it up, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the kid just felt like Dortmund was a better fit for the next 1-2 years. He will play a ton, their style will give him plenty of chances and it isn't a huge culture shock.

Dortmund put on a charm offensive...
by iudomer  (2020-02-19 13:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but reality was Raiola getting a payoff yet again from United and then the release clause. Woodward wouldn't play ball with that, Dortmund did.

Raiola is a cancer on the game *
by wcnitz  (2020-02-19 13:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gio with the dime. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-02-18 17:15:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very impressive 1st touch ....
by ndroman21  (2020-02-18 18:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...allowed him to turn away from the defender already accelerating. He looks like he’ll be a big help for the US in the near future.

Not my favorite half of soccer ever. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-02-18 15:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stupid pro bus parkers! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-02-18 16:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a Simeone special
by wcnitz  (2020-02-18 16:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Smother the match with a pillow.

Klopp knew what he was up against, there was no surprise here.

Defensive mistake on a corner didn't help.
by NDBass  (2020-02-18 17:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1-0 after the away leg isn't the worst, but 0-0 would've been better.

The risk is giving up a goal at Anfield now
by wcnitz  (2020-02-18 17:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Atletico isn’t going to leak like Barcelona did last year in the comeback. Simeone will shithouse that match from the opening whistle.

I wasn't able to watch and my sources are biased.
by NDBass  (2020-02-18 18:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But hopefully the ref in the 2nd leg won't be as accommodating of the shithousery as the ref was today.

It is far from a given the Liverpool will progress, but I'm not overly worried, depending on the injury situation.

It felt like a typical CL knockout in terms of match control
by wcnitz  (2020-02-19 09:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Klopp was complaining about Mane being targeted (trying to draw a second yellow) after the match, but overall it was balanced.

Whoooah...
by mitquinn  (2020-02-18 15:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could be offsides there...