The English Game
by miamioh_irishfan (2020-03-25 18:18:23)

Netflix series which was released last week about the origins of the modern game in England. The story starts in 1879 with two teams battling for the FA Cup. I think the people who wrote Downton Abbey are behind this too. Has that kind of pace to it.

The Men in Blazers were not impressed.
by 3rdSt  (2020-03-26 21:23:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had about ten minutes picking it apart on their Wednesday podcast. Basically, too much love for the Old Etonians (which is kind funny coming from two quite poncy Brits), too much romanticizing life in mining towns, and crap football scenes.

I just finished it today and I have to agree
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-03-27 15:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lazy writing (it seems everyone in the British Isles knows everyone, even in 1879), the story seems rushed and the soccer action scenes are indeed crap.

We're a couple of episodes in
by TCFC  (2020-03-26 10:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and enjoying it thus far.

You definitely get the Downton vibe.