Ahh, lists
by HTownND (2020-04-09 12:19:18)

ESPN's latest foray.

I'll just say this, the hyperbole in this shit is what probably bugs me the most.

In any list of "best of" or "greatest" there is always going to be disagreements, tough calls, etc.

But when you write shit like this:

"Schmeichel won five Premier Leagues, three FA Cups and a Champions League with United. No other keeper comes close."

I'm inclined to stop reading your stupid shit (although they won because I already clicked).

Petr Cech won 4 league titles, 4 FA Cups and a Champions League with Chelsea. He also had way more clean sheets than Schmeichel (202 for Cech to 128 for Schmeichel, and if you want to get into it, his % of clean sheets was also higher than Schmeichel, 46% to Schmeichel's 41%).

Look, I have no problem with picking Schmeichel over Cech, Schmeichel is a badass. But to suggest no other keeper comes close is fucking absurd hyperbolic click bait bullshit.

Again, jokes on me for clicking on the link.

PS - I wouldn't put Cole on the list, but that's just me, I only saw the names in the picture, looks like a good list.

One can always argue about some of the choices. As ...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-04-09 23:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... we know, that is part of the point of these lists. I question Rio as opposed to Sol or Tony, for example. And while I can't argue about the CF and RF choices, I don't think Ronaldo should be a starter. He became the great one after he left. I probably would have given it to Henry.

As a Chelsea fan you probably won't agree, but Bergkamp deserves a spot on the bench more than Hazard (or Beckham).

I'm fine with that
by HTownND  (2020-04-10 11:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hazard's PL time was short. He burned bright, but he also had a bad season in there. Bergkamp was a badass and was in the PL longer.

I also agree on Ronaldo, he became who he is when he got to Madrid. He was great at Man U, but he was a different player then.

As I said below, these normally start a good discussion (which is why I posted it), but I also go crazy when people state that no one is close. Every single one of these are "debatable". Some more so than others, but we can have a good discussion, debate about each one.

Lampard over Scholes is a farce
by mitquinn  (2020-04-10 01:13:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe the writer is a Man Utd homer so he was probably trying to be fair.

Roy Keane told me that Scoles was the best ....
by Rocksteady74  (2020-04-10 11:52:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... player with whom he played.

I agree
by HTownND  (2020-04-10 11:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd happily change Fat Frank for Scholes, and then swap Schmeichel for Cech.

I also wouldn't put Cole there, but that's me.

And like I said, these are normally fun, and start good debate and discussion, which is the central point.

But when they throw in hyperbole around the selection, as if there isn't anyone close, it gets absurd.

If we are honest, there is an argument to be made at every single position on this list, none are black and white or "not close"

Yep *
by mitquinn  (2020-04-10 13:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

agreeance *
by wcnitz  (2020-04-10 08:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post