Can any PL club replicate the Dortmund model?
by Irish01 (2020-07-15 07:48:50)

I just read about Dortmund beating ManU for a 17-year old kid in England named Bellingham. Dortmund has clearly established themselves as the landing spot for young talented players across the globe. The development plan for these kids appears to be gold and they can point to numerous successful examples. The signing of Haaland was a massive statement.

It seems like they can promise a deliberate development plan for young players where the player will not be limited by a big signing to ensure on-the-field success. I am sure that isn't always true and players who flounder get buried, but it would seem like that would be more about the lack of individual progress than a decision to make a big purchase. They are then able to have a deep roster of young talent because they can sell at a massive profit.

I assume this is somewhat due to the easier visa requirements in Germany and the fact that the Bundesliga is not a deep league so Champions League qualification is a near given for Dortmund.

Back to the subject of my post... can any club in the Premier League mirror this approach and survive long enough to get the required momentum? Other than execution being a completely different animal from planning, what are the barriers to others pursuing? I am sure others have tried.

Irish 01

Replies: