Dear Knightly - somos campeones!
by Irish2003 (2020-07-16 17:57:53)

Didn't see this one coming post-CR7, but this might be Zidane's best coaching job approaching every game like a knockout round and managing rotations masterfully (other than Bale; have a soft spot for the Dragon from that CL goal and the Usain run around Bartra, but...). I didn't think we would fare well at Eithahd, but I'm also not betting against guys like Zidane, Ramos, Cyborg, Benz, and Lukita who've all won on the biggest stages, and have to imagine even a legendary manager like Pep is a little nervous.

YES!! Great to win the league.
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-07-16 19:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like you, I did not think it was in the cards this year especially after the pre-Covid swoon.

Zizou does not get enough credit for his managerial skills and how good he is in a very tough locker room. I was a Curtois doubter but he really showed up this year. His saves today at the end of the game were something else. Did you see Vinicius destroy the defense for that 3rd goal? That kid is going to be a special one. You can't teach what he does.

I never count us out in Champions. City is in excellent form but Champions is where we shine brightest. It will be a tough uphill battle but not impossible. Madrid must score early and i think City is a bit soft on the back line. Having said that DeBruyne is a hoss and they can score on anyone. Madrid will have to be their very best and even then I am not sure it will be possible.

City can be had. *
by Wooderson  (2020-07-18 17:27:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. But which City shows up?
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-07-20 09:34:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the one that showed against Arsenal this past weekend I am certain Madrid can advance. If the one that was dropping 5 goal bombs on everyone shows then I think Madrid will be heading home. They are definitely soft in the back but their materials up front make them a nightmare.

Madrid is much more stable on defense this year than in the past but getting a 2-0 result at the Etihad will take some luck and an early score so that City plays tight.

RM is one of the best sides City will face this year.
by Wooderson  (2020-07-20 14:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zidane is doing work.

I won't say I'm sad at how Sat. turned out, but it may give them a kick in the ass going forward. This is the trophy they've been looking for.

For sure. If Ramos was playing I would feel better but
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-07-21 08:44:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

alas he is out with a red card (double yellow) infraction from the first leg. Madrid will miss him on defense but he also has 13 goals this year across competitions which makes him Madrid's 2nd leading scorer after Big Benz.

Well said, and CL may be head vs. heart
by Irish2003  (2020-07-17 17:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish we had this level of cohesion during the first leg, but gotta play the hand we were dealt rather than the one we wish for. Missing CR7 hurts as he was something like a goal per game at one point, but Benz and Ramos have been outstanding, and the midfield can help control games better than most. Vinny has been a treat to watch, and if he can get the finishing a little sharper, he should be a very good one, not to mention some of the loan guys like Odegard and Kubo. I was a TBo doubter too, but he's been outstanding and a clean sheet will be huge for the CL. City has been very good too, and I'm curious to see how Arsenal plays them tomorrow, especially with Arteta being Pep's protege.