Championship Playoff final will be a Derby
by SavageDragon (2020-07-30 16:47:14)
Edited on 2020-07-30 17:00:07

Brentford have the, er, home location advantage? (Context, for those unfamiliar with relative geography of the West London Derby: Brentford are about 6 miles driving from Wembley, Fulham are about 9.)

(Bonus context, for those unfamiliar with relative geography of the West London Derby: Brentford are about 5 miles driving from Fulham, which seems very close at first glance, until you realize QPR are about 3 and Chelsea are about 2.)

I'm always amazed at how close Craven Cottage
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-30 21:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Stamford Bridge are to each other.

Spot on with your distances! Did you do those by memory?
by spade  (2020-07-30 21:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love geography lessons so much that I double-checked your estimations. Quite accurate! And walking, Stamford Bridge is only 1.5 miles from Craven Cottage.

That would be an amazing EPL double in the same day to watch 2 games at each stadium...just have to catch Fulham up in the EPL to do it. I hope the Cottagers play well on Tuesday!

Fulham and Chelsea basically never play at home on same day
by fortune_smith  (2020-07-31 16:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The London Metropolitan Police ordinarily don’t allow it.

It might be feasible to have, say, an early Saturday match at one ground and a late Saturday match at the other, e.g., 1230 and 530 kickoffs. However, the fixture list is initially circulated with all the weekend matches on Saturdays at 300 pm with matches moved to other weekend TV slots on a rolling basis as the season progress, usually with something like 6-8-10 weeks’ notice.

The most likely exceptions for Fulham and Chelsea to play at home on the same date would be for FA Cup matches that have arisen on short notice or perhaps for rescheduled matches during the pandemic with the grounds empty.

However, Fulham and QPR often play at home on the same day, and 1230/300, 300/530, 1230/530 combos are workable to varying degrees when both matches aren’t in the 300 slot. The 1230/530 combo can work well for matches at any pair of London grounds and may even Incorporate a match farther afield in places like Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Reading, Leicester and maybe a few others.

Fulham will have its hands full with Brentford Tuesday evening. Many observes think the Bees play the best football in the Championship, even though both sides finished the campaign on 81 points. I’m hoping that Fulham’s playoff experience will usurp the charm of Brentford’s story — tiny club, never been in the top flight, just closed out 12k Griffin Park, about to open a smart new ground (in the Prem?) and exciting football scoring goals by the hatful.

COYW !!!

Nope, Google Maps.
by SavageDragon  (2020-07-31 09:43:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew the four teams in question, and I had a general sense of their relative locations, but I certainly couldn't have even come close to estimating the actual distances.

But none of them will be wearing a yellow ribbon... *
by Wooderson  (2020-07-30 20:40:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was 3vs4. 1vs2 would've also been a derby (South Wales) *
by SavageDragon  (2020-07-30 17:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 and 2 were promoted (Leeds, WBA). The Welsh were 5 and 6.
by fortune_smith  (2020-07-31 16:31:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brentford and Fulham were strong favorites in the semifinals, even though each advanced on aggregate by a narrow 3-2 total.