The fixture congestion in the Premier League
by miamioh_irishfan (2020-12-30 12:11:49)

has finally caught up in terms of Covid spread. Man City v Everton was called off yesterday. Today Fulham v Spurs was canceled. It seems inevitable that the whole league will shut down for a period of time.

Liverpool wish their game today was postponed.
by NDBass  (2020-12-30 16:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unmitigated shitfest so far.

Klopp disagrees. 😄
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-12-31 00:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“We played super football,” Klopp said on NBCSN after the game. “Mo [Salah] had a chance. Trent [Alexander-Arnold] has a super finish where somebody throws a body in between so, look, I watch a lot of football draws in my life. It will not stay like this forever. I know they will finish them if they get them again. We will win football games that’s it. Pretty much all is well.”

I assume he's just blowing smoke.
by NDBass  (2020-12-31 00:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The passing was off, first touches were off, and shooting was off, even taking into account the great play of Newcastle's keeper. Hopefully Thiago is ready for more minutes. Midfield took a step back without Gini. Defense did a reasonable job. Alisson is Alisson and Fabinho is Fabinho. Speed looks to be a weakness for Phillips and R. Williams, so they might need to stop playing as high at times. Or they need to consistently pack their shooting boots.

Also, most of the better chances happened after my post.

I think that's right.
by NDMike2001  (2020-12-31 06:43:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had chances to win it for sure, but I have a hard time believing that he watched that and thinks that is how they should be dominating a match notwithstanding the failure to convert.

I do think that maybe he is being overly cautious in protecting his CB by overvaluing possession as a way of defending. IMO they need to concede possession in deeper areas more at time as well as take more shots from distance and risks in general. Also play more direct and quicker on the counter instead of playing out the back. You can see that they want to just impose their will and break down the opponents over time. This also reduces their press, which I assume is a goal to keep them fit.

Ultimately, it comes down to taking more shots. If nothing else they break down the defensive setup and allow skill players different looks on second chances.

They are leaving the door open for City
by dwjm3  (2020-12-30 17:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially with Aguero coming back.

shutdown 'not on the table' for discussion, apparently *
by wcnitz  (2020-12-30 12:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post