Liverpool is trying to recreate the Barca magic from 2019,
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-04-06 16:42:58)

which first involves going down big in the away leg to a Spanish team.

And instead of playing in the UCL quarterfinal tomorrow
by DillonFightSong  (2021-04-06 19:11:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Juventus will be playing Napoli in a makeup game, fighting to stay in the top four. I love it.

It's an ok result for Madrid
by KnightlyRevue  (2021-04-06 17:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but far from a sure thing given the volume of injuries and absences in the lineup. Given that, I am happy as I thought the back line of Militao/Nacho/Mendy/Vazquez would be exposed badly.

Liverpool is not a top team this year. I do not fear going to Anfield given their injuries. Still, it is Champions and this tournament has a way of humbling teams. Madrid will need to put in an equal performance if they want to advance but neither team is putting the trophy in their cabinet.

I have been touting patience with Vinicius for quite some time with my Madrid fans. I was happy to see him have his moment tonight. All the materials are there for him to be a very good player. Just needs to keep composure in the final 3rd.

It's likely over.
by NDBass  (2021-04-06 17:08:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe with a full Anfield, but this lineup currently doesn't have what it will take with no fans. They'll score goals, but they won't be able to keep RM from scoring.

It was over with the non-red on Mane.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-07 10:19:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It went from a what should have been a red on Vazquez on Mane to a goal for Madrid in 15 seconds. And poof that tie was over.

If they reviewed it and it wasn't a red (in their view)
by wcnitz  (2021-04-07 11:48:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe they cannot do anything about it, as they can't intervene on field fouls that don't result in a sending off. Could be wrong, but I believe that's current policy.

If the referee on the field says 'no', then they will also say no unless they see it as a sending off offense (like seriously foul play).

If it's a foul, it's a red. So they don't see it as a foul.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-07 12:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's my interpretation anyway. If only Philips would have just pushed Jr. over from behind...

I'd like to know if VAR even looked at that.
by NDBass  (2021-04-07 10:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a clear foul.

Surely they did. Every goal is reviewed.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-07 10:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seemed to have been ignored....just as it was in real time.

TAA had a nightmare half
by wcnitz  (2021-04-06 16:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

13 lost possessions and a beautiful assist to Madrid for a goal.

Leaving Madrid at 3-1 as of now - could be a lot worse. Easily could have been down 4-0 at half.

Not an awful result for how poorly they played *
by Siegfried08  (2021-04-06 17:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nope *
by wcnitz  (2021-04-06 21:05:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post