This women's soccer team starts looking better.
by BabaGhanouj (2021-09-12 15:14:13)
Edited on 2021-09-12 15:31:23

This was a well played game for the most part—a come from behind victory over a pretty decent Brown team. Ball control in the second half was impressive. The usual suspects: Eva Gaetino, Sammy Fisher, Brooke VanDyck, Korbin Albert, and great play from Kati Druzina. Plus I always find Olivia Wingate exciting. (Is there something about Olivia athletes?)

Great start to the season
by Irishlawyer  (2021-09-13 17:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are playing well. Their attacking passing/crosses are actually fairly deadly and they're converting a high rate of chances. Really enjoyable season.

Agree. First Time a Awhile....
by dillon77  (2021-09-14 07:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

League play starts up next with 'cuse, I believe.

Will Add One More Frosh: Katie Coyle
by dillon77  (2021-09-13 10:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, she came in the Bri Martinez got injured. (Hopefully, Bri's injury is not too severe and she'll be back for the Syracuse game this weekend.)

However, Coyle played adeptly in that d-mid role and was around the ball a lot, which is what she did when named All-State in NJ at Middletown South HS. She can play...defense, offense. Anywhere.

Good get for Coach Nate and she'll help this team.

Ha, ha … I had a feeling she must be from New Jersey.
by BabaGhanouj  (2021-09-14 11:50:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I discovered watching the game (ND will never announce it) that Aly Akers was riding some kind of scooter, so it appears she'll be out for the season. I was really excited to watch her and Korbin Albert play this year.

I'll wish Katie Coyle luck.

Did the announcers discuss the goalkeeping situation?
by MPG  (2021-09-14 14:47:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It struck me that at least three have played in goal so far with the senior Mattie Interian injured after having been the starter at the beginning of the season.

Not That I Recall During the 2nd Half......
by dillon77  (2021-09-14 16:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..but it would be nice to get some insight on what's going on. Of all the teams I follow at ND, getting information out of women's soccer is like finding the fourth root on a root canal.

If I recall correctly,
by BabaGhanouj  (2021-09-14 18:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the announcers, as Dillon says, largely avoided it. They showed Mattie and mentioned the injury. She had on a big boot, looking more like a cast, on her (right?) leg up to below the knee. So, who knows?

Despite her mistake (in judgment) for the goal, I didn't find Ashely Naylor necessarily bad. She looked athletic, fairly quick, perhaps quicker than Interian. She was lucky on the one stop. I thought that would be the game. Of course, I don't know much about goal keeping. I've watched games next to a college player and he will say something like, no, the goalie should never do that on a play that looked OK to me.