VAR shambles in Liverpool/Spurs.
by NDBass (2021-12-19 13:12:30)

First, Kane gets off with just a yellow for a studs up challenge on Robertson. Robertson has a yellow upgraded to a red for a foul when he swung at the ball and missed, making very good contact with some intention to leave a bit in. I have no clue how the Kane challenge is just a yellow, without even an on-field check, and Robertson's gets upgraded to a red. Either both are yellows or both are reds.

Add on to it no penalty when Jota gets barged over in the box. That's on top of VAR missing Ederson taking out a Newcastle player in the box in City/Newcastle. Not a good day for PL VAR, which says a lot because there were only three games.

A nice twist - Tierney will be on VAR duty for Pool/Chelsea *
by NDBass  (2021-12-21 15:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why did the Salah (possible) handling not get looked at?
by spade  (2021-12-19 15:33:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it looked like Salah punched the ball forward instead of heading it on the Robertson goal. The replays showed it twice and the announcer even inferred a chalking off, but it didn't ever get re-looked at.

Sure seems like that goal could have gone away but VAR looked away

Edit: Maybe this? "New handball law states if it's not intentional AND the player handballing doesn't go on to score, it's not a handball."

But how is even intentionality adjudicated?

Not sure where you're seeing that written
by wcnitz  (2021-12-20 07:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But only a handball by the goal scorer is negated now.

Any other handball in the buildup has the normal handball criteria applied to it. 'Deliberate' is one of those criteria, but it's the same as any other situation.

Because there is nothing to overturn.
by NDMike2001  (2021-12-19 16:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The handball did not lead to a goal. Had it gone in, it would have been disallowed.

Instead it was a ball that hit a hand...which is not in itself a reviewable incident.

I believe it is the new interpretation as you mentioned.
by NDBass  (2021-12-19 16:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he was trying to head it and his hand was in a somewhat natural position. The contact between head/hand almost looked simultaneous to me. Either way, had the ball gone in from that, it would've been reversed. (Well, I say that, but you never know with this horseshit VAR process in the PL.) Because he didn't score and it didn't appear to be intentional, play was allowed to continue and the resulting goal stood.

To answer your question, I think it tends to be very obvious when it is intentional. Salah's motions looked natural to me, but I admit to being biased.

They were both red cards
by wcnitz  (2021-12-19 14:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stupid and dangerous challenges, both of them. Just look at the USMNT friendly last night - the referee didn't even hesitate on a high stud challenge above the ankle. In a friendly.

And the Jota foul was indeed just that.

English officiating is wildly inconsistent. Kante got away with a handling earlier today that should have been a sending off for DOGSO.

They both COULD be red.
by NDMike2001  (2021-12-19 14:56:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see why Tierney called them both yellow. Either could have been shown red.

However, the only way to reconcile the VAR reversal is that Kane was involved in one challenge and not the other.

Don't disagree re: Kane
by wcnitz  (2021-12-19 15:21:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I will disagree that either could be called a yellow card. Both were excessive force and endangering the safety of the opponent.

I just don't think either are automatic.
by NDMike2001  (2021-12-19 16:41:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes they're both reckless challenges. Kane's was sloppy and the more dangerous of the two. Robertson, having already been kicked in the face and been on the receiving end of Kane's challenge surely made it a point to put in a big swipe. The problem with his challenge is that the player made an obvious attempt to shield the ball (not actually playing the ball) from Robertson. So he essentially stepped into a hard challenge. The funny thing is that Robertson (fortunately) avoided the contact and probably saved himself from serious injury and Kane from a card. The Tottenham player, Royal, looked for the contact and got it.

Meanwhile dipshit Tierney thought that Jota intentionally tried to draw a penalty so he didn't call a the penalty. I mean, Jota is clearly trying to score. But even still. Since when is a player not entitled to a penalty when he gets fouled trying to draw a penalty. Laughable stuff today.

Shielding it within playing distance is perfectly legal
by wcnitz  (2021-12-20 07:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And doesn't entitle the opponent to kick through your leg :) It's just good positioning.

And Jota was trying to draw a foul...which he did. It's not like he pulled a Kane, stepped in front of the defender and threw himself to the ground with his hands up in the air. Like a little bitch.

I didn’t say it was illegal.
by NDMike2001  (2021-12-20 12:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In judging the fouls it is relevant to not the situation at the time of the challenge. One a player is stepping into a harsh challenge. The other the player is jumping out of it. Robertson’s was reckless and became dangerous when Royal stepped into it. Kane’s was reckless and dangerous the moment he went in. Fortunately, Robertson avoided the injury.

As for Jota I have doubts that he tried to draw the penalty. Again, fair play if he did. But this is a guy that’s not afraid to piss off Ronaldo by not passing. Who blasted one passed Pickford from a similar position. I’m not convinced he’s going to give Salah a pen if he’s got the slightest opening for a shot.

Kane took the 5th in the post-game conference.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-12-19 13:44:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As one of the Spurs twitter accounts said, different rules today for the English captain vs. the Scottish captain. My Arsenal son said that Kane getting special treatment is a general complaint from many fans.

Allison had a howler to allow the second goal. That's at least the second time this year he got burned coming way out on a ball. Spurs didn't let Salah beat him.

It was a shame for Alisson.
by NDBass  (2021-12-19 16:26:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They would've been down by 3 or 4 without his performance. To make that mistake and cost the team 2 points is really tough. I think he was a bit more on edge as Spurs had been getting over the top of Konate and Matip with relative ease at times. I was too angry to watch in detail to see if there was a bit of a hop to throw him off, but he needed to just put that in the stands instead of whatever it is he was trying to do.

Kane is the new Rooney
by mitquinn  (2021-12-19 13:51:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All maniacal behavior is excusable.