Miles Robinson might be in danger of missing WC.
by NDBass (2022-05-07 22:32:52)

No official word, but it looks like he suffered an Achilles injury today. Hopefully nothing that serious, but it was non-contact and the motion certainly looked like an Achilles. His reaction also makes me think he knows it is something serious.

Thank god it wasn't the "other" Robinson
by Irishlawyer  (2022-05-09 18:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and this gives Gregg a chance to not have to eat humble pie.

I did notice he's calling CCV though.

And where did that bring you? Back to me...
by irishlaw2010  (2022-05-09 11:29:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ruptured Achilles confirmed. Surgery later today.
by NDBass  (2022-05-09 10:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure what that means from a recovery timeframe, but I don't think it looks good for getting back to the level required for a World Cup.

Is this more likely to happen on artificial turf? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-09 12:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no clue.
by NDBass  (2022-05-09 13:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Atlanta United has suffered three torn Achilles this season. Two happened on turf and one on grass. I didn't see Guzan's injury, so I can't say if it is something that looked like the turf had an impact or if it was just one of those things.

In Robinson's case, you could see him extend his left leg back to push forward. I assume that is when it happened. What I don't know is if grass would've had enough give to keep the right amount of pressure to rupture or if it would've happened anyway.

Atlanta United has been playing home matches (and some away) on turf since the middle of the 2017 season and has never had an Achilles injury before. I don't recall what happened with the training staff during the coaching change last season, but my first thought is there is something being done in training that isn't helping. It could be a combination or none of the above.

Achilles injuries 2x more likely, ankle 6x more likely
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-09 21:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on artificial turf than natural grass, according to one study of male soccer players. (The linked article takes a current look at all USMNT injuries.)

Aren't they coming back ridiculously quick from Achilles now
by DakotaDomer  (2022-05-09 11:00:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cam Akers did it in 6 months right? As an NFL RB

Maybe some hope? I'd be interested to see his timetable post surgery.

I believe Aaron Long is coming back from an Achilles
by Mr Wednesday  (2022-05-09 21:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure how long his recovery lasted.

I've seen 4-6 months mentioned in general.
by NDBass  (2022-05-09 11:11:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if that depends on the extent of the injury or what. I assume that also takes into account a perfect surgery and rehab. Then there's getting into playing shape and being able to play 90 minutes three times in 8 days. The latter is probably what concerns me the most.

I'm also not optimistic based on what I've seen happen to Mike Soroka for the Braves. I know the physical demands of a pitcher and a CB are different, but it doesn't give me much hope.