City winning the title was not supposed to involve pain.
by NDBass (2022-05-22 12:37:43)
Edited on 2022-05-22 12:42:49

This has the chance to be maximum pain if Liverpool don't end up winning. Add a Thiago injury to the mix and it will be a horrible day.

EDIT: Looks like City woke up. Now it is just the Thiago injury to worry about.

Congrats to Citeh.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-22 15:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had the heart of a champion to claw their back like that. I thought it was coming to be when an ex-Liverpool player gave Aston Villa a 2-0 lead.

I am still mulling over Pep's consistent statement that the EPL is harder to win than the Champions League. There are more games, so I agree on that part of it, but I am back-on-forth on that question especially because the level of competition is less overall than the Champions League.

Harder in that it requires the best overall roster.
by NDMike2001  (2022-05-23 11:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or a tremendous amount of luck with injuries and such. It's "harder" because most teams do not have the luxury to not only field a starting 11 but also a second 11 that costs more than most other starting 11s. I'm not trying to be snarky, it's just a statement of fact. It also takes some elite level man management to convince the John Stones and Nathan Akes of the world to be backups.

I think the grind and relative parity of the EPL makes it difficult for EPL teams to win the Champions League. But for the other top clubs, they can set their rosters around UCL to ensure their best lineups.

Case in point for Liverpool. Fabinho, VVD, Thiago and Salah are all either in doubt or dealing with injuries picked up during a title race after Real sealed up theirs.

John Stones isn’t a backup
by dwjm3  (2022-05-23 14:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In fact he and Ruben Dias we’re the starting CB pair for City last season. 2020-2021

The pairing didn’t start as much this year largely due to injury and lack of form at times.

OK. Laporte cost more than stones. Pick one.
by NDMike2001  (2022-05-23 14:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously Dias is a lock.

You're not going to get him to be rational about his club
by siegfried08  (2022-05-23 16:30:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Step 2 is to trot out the net spend figures for United, Liverpool, and Chelsea. We've been down this path a multitude of times now.

No other club could afford to stick their hundred million pound signing on the bench on decision day, but that's the luxury City have. That squad is just so deep, party due to finances and partly due to some very good business.

Might behoove you to take your cues from Klopp
by dwjm3  (2022-05-23 17:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He admitted in his Sky interview yesterday Liverpool had too many draws this season.

If you had beaten Tottenham a week ago you would have won the league. Liverpool didn’t execute in crunch time and City did.

The reality for Liverpool fans is they weren’t successful at winning the Premier League even before Pep got to City. Three teams have 5 or more league titles since the inception of the PL. It isn't like City has completely controlled the league in the PL era.

Maybe one of the more irrational posts I've seen.
by NDMike2001  (2022-05-23 18:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a fantastic season. 1 single point separating two giant clubs over the course of the season. Liverpool picked up a couple domestic trophies along the way.

Yeah, Liverpool dropped points to perhaps the hottest team in the EPL not named City or Liverpool four games ago. Three days after advancing in a Champions League semi-final that City did not. Less than a month after advancing in the FA Cup semi-final that City did not.

And apparently Liverpool's crunch time collapse is not as impressive as City's massive draw against West Ham who picked up 5 points from 21 in its last 7 matches of the season. Perhaps it was City's timing that made it that much more impressive.

Congrats to City. They were and are a great team. That being said, I wouldn't be beating my chest about how much more clutch than Liverpool they are! haha

Each club dropped 2 points over the last 7 fixtures
by siegfried08  (2022-05-23 18:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But like I said, forget it, he's rolling.

I didn't say City didn't deserve to win the league this year
by siegfried08  (2022-05-23 18:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I said it's a hell of a lot easier to do so when you can semi-whiff on a 100 million pound signing. If we can't even agree on that, there's no point in having a discourse.

As to your larger point, I'm sure you are aware that Klopp is now the proud owner of the two highest point totals not to win the league in EPL history (the 11-12 United squad is third, funny enough). You don't need to rehash Liverpool's grisly history w/r/t the EPL, but it's a simple fact that the 18-19 and 21-22 squads would have won the league in nearly any other era.

Enjoy watching the final this weekend.

That one gave me heart palpitations.
by tex29  (2022-05-22 13:54:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool would have been worthy champions as well. And I thought Robertson’s post-match interview was class. Good luck in the final.

That was a gut punch all the way through.
by irishlaw2010  (2022-05-22 13:16:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but not even a top 3 hurtful finish over the last two decades or so.

I love Liverpool but the pain in the 2nd place finishes over the years is starting to add up.

Ranked from most painful to least:

1) 2013/14 - Gerrard slip against Chelsea combined with the Crystal Palace nightmare

2A) 2008/09 tied with 2B)2001/02 - Houllier's heart condition versus SAF in Rafa's head. Tough to find the true silver medal winner in this ranking of bridesmaid years so I'll call it a tie. 08/09 gets the nod barely because of the margin of defeat. The run that Liverpool was on in their last 16 matches of 01/02 was terrific (43 out of 48 points) but Arsenal just refused to drop points (47 out of 48) down the stretch.

4) 2018/19 - this would be higher but for 1) winning the Champions League the next week and 2) the way we pushed Man City, regardless of the finish, it felt like honest to God proof that Klopp was the real deal.

5) 2021/22 - If we win next week, then this won't feel as bad. But for 2019/20 this would be devastating.

Today was easier because they were never in first.
by NDBass  (2022-05-22 20:35:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had City lost or drawn and Liverpool didn't win, I would've been apoplectic. Had Liverpool taken the lead while City was down/level and then their string of goals happened, I would've been devastated. I did a pretty good job of managing today's level of hope. 2018/19 was worse in that aspect. They were actually in fist before City scored the two quick goals.

2013/2014 is probably the worst for me. Partially because I think Rodgers bungled the managerial aspect of it.

1989, Arsenal @ Liverpool needs to be on the list.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-22 15:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(This is certainly before my time as an LIV fan. Gerrard's slip is what I won't forget.)

Last game of the season. Even if Liverpool loses 1-0 to Arsenal, they're still champions, but then, in injury time...

Insane last day
by spade  (2022-05-22 13:16:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

City and Pool both complete comeback, but City get title

Unexpected Son collects joint Boot after 2 second half goals. No PK goals

Leeds stay up after insane game against Brentford

Everton gets to celebrate stay-up day at home. Burnley faces tragedy in same situation.

One of the best final days that I can remember in terms of multiple storylines!

I kept waiting for the post-match goal zone to show
by steez_nutz  (2022-05-22 15:33:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all the highlights, and they just seemed to focus on Man City for an hour and half. They did show a Klopp interview, that went to a commercial and came back in the middle of Law & Order. If I'm not mistaken, Leeds stayed up only because of a goal in the 94th minute. I guess I'll track all this down on the internet

Leeds was up unless Burnley found an equaliser
by fortune_smith  (2022-05-22 15:49:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or 10-man Brentford found a late winner.

Harrison’s 90+4’ goal iced it.

Nit: 9-man, a red and an injury after all subs. *
by SavageDragon  (2022-05-22 17:23:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post