And now for something completely different.
by DillonFightSong (2022-05-22 19:35:03)
Edited on 2022-05-22 19:36:33

Congrats to Milan (I Cugini) on a well-deserved Scudetto.

All-in-all, it was a good year for the Nerazzurri, even if not a banner year for Serie A in general. As one Italian Napoli fan told me, when he watches with his daughter he teaches her that it’s just as important (if not more) to hate the other team as it is to support your own. Following up on a few threads below, Juve’s nadir is bad for Serie A. Barring changes in ownership, neither Milan, nor Inter, nor Napoli are prepared to match the quality of some of the recent squads that Juve put forth in Europe. One might think I’m feeling like the dog that caught the car, the equivalent of the Ohio State fan who roots for Michigan in the bowl game because “it’s good for the conference.” Bullshit. I’m a relatively new spectator, but my hatred of La Putana Vecchia from Turin became ingrained by the end of my first full season (‘17-18).

Where was I? Right. Following a financial and political crisis among ownership, a sell-off of talent, and departure of Italy’s most glorious hairpiece, Inter beat Juve head-to-head for the Supercoppa and Coppa Italia, made it out of the UCL group stage (with the bad break of drawing Liverpool in the first knockout round), and finished second overall. Also, Juventus finished the season without silverware, which, again, was Inter’s doing.

I realize this post has a target audience of about 1.5 NDN posters, but if you made it this far, we’ll see you next year in Europe. Try not to raid our roster too much in the meantime.

Replies: