ESPN hasn't signed a broadcast deal because they don't
by G.K.Chesterton (2022-06-14 16:46:56)

In reply to: Apple TV+ to show every MLS game, no blackouts  posted by plaid_pants

want anything longer than a four-year deal. I wonder why MLS wanted a 10-year deal with Apple, unless they have an opt-out in case the value of the rights grows significantly.

It appears local broadcasts will be eliminated with this deal. Games only on Wednesdays and Sundays, which I found odd.

Dropping local TV seems like a horrible idea. *
by Mr Wednesday  (2022-06-14 19:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MLS is all about the easy money.
by NDBass  (2022-06-14 17:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, as easy as money can be when you're a multi-level marketing scheme. They know they'd actually have to try to have the value of their rights grow significantly. It's easier to make rules to ensure parity of mediocre soccer than to allow/entice clubs to actually get better.

The MLS is in the business of making unwatchable soccer
by spade  (2022-06-14 20:25:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So long as they turn a profit, they don't care that the league never progresses.
I had high hopes for getting a team in Miami, but it has just watered down the entire league with the rapid expansion

My perspective is this deal is a net positive
by plaid_pants  (2022-06-16 12:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I moved to Oregon the year before the Timbers joined the MLS. I did not and do not have cable tv. I was an MLS Live subscriber, which I loved. I had to could watch all the Timbers games after a 48 hour delay and was happy to do so. I found the MLS Live platform to be high quality.

A funny thing happened in that certain opponents played styles I found attractive, and since I was paying for the service, I would start watching the 25 minute condensed versions of The Revs, Red Bull and Toronto. And after a while I would watch the condensed games for the entire league.

When the ESPN deal killed MLS Live, I couldn’t watch the Timbers games at all. Completely and permanently blacked out. So I just stopped watching the MLS entirely. (I don’t even know if ESPN+ is still blacking out the games this year. I haven’t checked. They were blacked out last year.)

In the meantime, I lived in Australia for two years and became a fan of Aussie sports. I buy two subscription services (Watch AFL and Watch NRL) that are just like MLS Live used to be, but there are no blackout restrictions. I pay $165 each for the year long access to these service. I also pay $60 a year for Willow that gets me access to Australia and English cricket.

For me, a return to an MLS Live style app is a positive. Removing the blackout restrictions is fantastic. It was my one comment in every survey I ever answered for the MLS.

As to the comments about the quality of soccer, MLS is clearly better than it was in 2001, better than it was in 2011 and I expect it to be better in 2031 than it is today. Comparing to world soccer in general, I appreciate that away teams and minnows don’t seem to play overly negative tactics which I enjoy more than I did watching Inter defeat Barcelona in the Champions League semi final in 2010 for instance.

I don't know what games you watch.
by NDBass  (2022-06-16 13:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see plenty of negative tactics. Especially when teams play Atlanta United. Philadelphia can give a masterclass on faking injuries, time wasting, and utter douchebaggery. Regardless of the tactics, there is a whole lot of shitty play. That's why I don't understand how people watch MLS games in which they have no rooting interest.