The MLS is in the business of making unwatchable soccer
by spade (2022-06-14 20:25:28)

In reply to: MLS is all about the easy money.  posted by NDBass

So long as they turn a profit, they don't care that the league never progresses.
I had high hopes for getting a team in Miami, but it has just watered down the entire league with the rapid expansion

My perspective is this deal is a net positive
by plaid_pants  (2022-06-16 12:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I moved to Oregon the year before the Timbers joined the MLS. I did not and do not have cable tv. I was an MLS Live subscriber, which I loved. I had to could watch all the Timbers games after a 48 hour delay and was happy to do so. I found the MLS Live platform to be high quality.

A funny thing happened in that certain opponents played styles I found attractive, and since I was paying for the service, I would start watching the 25 minute condensed versions of The Revs, Red Bull and Toronto. And after a while I would watch the condensed games for the entire league.

When the ESPN deal killed MLS Live, I couldn’t watch the Timbers games at all. Completely and permanently blacked out. So I just stopped watching the MLS entirely. (I don’t even know if ESPN+ is still blacking out the games this year. I haven’t checked. They were blacked out last year.)

In the meantime, I lived in Australia for two years and became a fan of Aussie sports. I buy two subscription services (Watch AFL and Watch NRL) that are just like MLS Live used to be, but there are no blackout restrictions. I pay $165 each for the year long access to these service. I also pay $60 a year for Willow that gets me access to Australia and English cricket.

For me, a return to an MLS Live style app is a positive. Removing the blackout restrictions is fantastic. It was my one comment in every survey I ever answered for the MLS.

As to the comments about the quality of soccer, MLS is clearly better than it was in 2001, better than it was in 2011 and I expect it to be better in 2031 than it is today. Comparing to world soccer in general, I appreciate that away teams and minnows don’t seem to play overly negative tactics which I enjoy more than I did watching Inter defeat Barcelona in the Champions League semi final in 2010 for instance.

I don't know what games you watch.
by NDBass  (2022-06-16 13:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see plenty of negative tactics. Especially when teams play Atlanta United. Philadelphia can give a masterclass on faking injuries, time wasting, and utter douchebaggery. Regardless of the tactics, there is a whole lot of shitty play. That's why I don't understand how people watch MLS games in which they have no rooting interest.